Lawn Care Forum banner

Driveway

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  newjerseylandscaping 
#1 ·
A before and after of a new driveway and concrete stamped retaining wall we did.

Plant Building Window Tree House

Plant Building Window Tree House

See less See more
#5 ·
why did you use stamped concrete? Most people only use wall blocks... Did you have the wall stamped by a registered Landscape Architect? That wall looks over 4'... how about drainage?...is there wall drainage?....this could haunt you if one of these answers is no. It looks nice though. How is the new driveway paved?

It doesn't look like there is much slope in the first picture, why remove so much soil for a well drained-looking property? Why was the wall even built? Why not have just repaved the driveway? Did you sucker some suckers? I really think you got paid for work that didn't need to be done...I think the wall looks nice, but I don't understand why it was needed. Its a crappy house to stat, and probably in a crappy neighborhood, why would you spend money for this work on that lot? Foreclosure I assume....

I hope you are insured either way that you built this wall. I have seen a lot of blow outs from walls... They are expensive to fix.

#7 ·
The previous driveway was a lot steeper than it looks in the picture. You can see in the before picture on the right side how they was driving up the driveway. There is drainage pipe and gravel behind the wall that comes out on the side. The concrete drive on the back side is down a foot from the top of the wall to create a bumper for cars. The wall is 4 foot tall put by the time the homeowners back-fill along the front it will be only 3 feet. Which would mean they don't need any handrails. They are redoing the whole house. The drive is a lot smoother this way. I can take my F350 and pull it into the garage now and turn around where before I couldn't. Any other questions let me know.

#15 ·
the house looks a lot better but the front yard is going to be hard to landscape so the curb appeal is still there. With a 8 foot retaining wall of stamped concrete. that will eventually crack and show all the sagging marks. I would have done a wall block retaining wall and kept the driveway lower to where it was originally. Its sorta ugly to not see the whole front of the house.

Maybe its just the angle of the picture.

Nice construction just would have done it differently. Your the one making money and getting jobs like this so congrats. Make the customer happy and thats all you need to do..

#20 ·
The wall is only 4' tall. The owners did the landscaping and sod and it looks pretty good. We tried block retaining wall but this is what they wanted. Every one on here says its going to crack. Probably, but think about what your house is sitting on, the exact same thing.
It probably will crack, but everyone seems to be forgetting that this is a service business, we're working for the client. If one of my clients wanted something like this, I'd try to talk them into something different but if they didn't go for it, why walk away from the job if you can do it? It's not really my taste but came out good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.