• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Drop seeder use

columbiaplower

LawnSite Senior Member
ive been seeding only full size house lawns to this point but i picked up some town homes. i think to avoid striping i will tru a drop spreader on these. also i want to Avoid material getting into beds. what do u all do? also what brand drop spreader do u use?

-nick

gene gls

LawnSite Gold Member
I use a spinner spreader for seed and fertilizer so I can over lap at different directions with out causing streaks.I use a drop spreaded for powdered lime only.

johnnyjay

LawnSite Member
I recently bought a Lesco spreader. Have not used it yet. I asked my Lesco dealer about how to keep from throwing seeds into beds. He says Lesco sells a shield kit for the spreader for $30. It throws seed or fertilizer forward on one side.

Has anyone used the shield kit and are you satisfied with it?

Johnnyjay

Mr.Ziffel

LawnSite Senior Member
Spread 350 pounds of grass seed 10 days ago with a John Deere broadcast spreader which is made by Spyker. Price was $98, which was $10 less than the Earthway and for a much more substantial tool [stainless 40#hopper and heavier frame]. The grass has been coming in thick and green with no stripes or skips. I was easily able to keep the seed out of flower beds and off the gravel drive--no wild patches showing up. I highly recommend this spreader. The Deere dealer also has an 80# spreader made by Spyker [I couldn't find a Spyker dealer anywhere near]