1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dropping Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNSTAR1306, Aug 1, 2004.

1. LAWNSTAR1306

LAWNSTAR1306 LawnSite Member

How does a company drop a customer? in person or through a letter? any body have sample letters?:confused:

2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Never had to drop a customer, but you should call and talk to them and then send a letter saying "sorry it didn't work out but thank's for you business over the years" (I guess)

Joe Wood

3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I suppose you could do it the way I did it..
    Wait till they call the Better business bureau because you aren't trimming their shrubs every couple of weeks. This woman is on a contract this year. Last year, she asked me to trim her shrubs 3 times. This year, with the contract, that little words " as needed" made her think that I would trim her shrubs on a whim. She called the BBB when it didn't happen and I dropped her and let her out of her contract. She has been my worst PITA customer, and, she goes to church with me and gets a significant discount. 12,000 SF of turf, fertilized 3 times and shrub trimming "as needed" for $775.00 contract price yearly. Tell me that wasn't a good deal.
    See what happens when you do a good deed for a "friend"?

Just send a letter and tell them that you are sorry, but are unable to service their property any longer, make a suggestion of another lawn service if you want, but just tell em.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

dear sir/mam, effective immediately xyz landscaping will no longer be servicing your property. good day, xyz landscaping.

5. USEALLY The reason i cancel somebody is because of non payment ....call em tell they are in what i call the deadbeat heap.
    Then i send out the appropiate collection letter .

6. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

With a good sensitive lie, people don't like being dumped and can get vindictive. Something like your downsizing!

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If its a lawn I'm losing money on (not a non-payment customer), I'll give them a call and explain the situation. And I offer to do one last service so I don't leave them hanging. Then I follow up the conversation with a letter.

8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I use the downsizing line and it does the job fine!

9. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I grew up in Greensboro and as much money that is in that town I would not cut a yard for that little bit of change a year. My mother lives out lawndale in a small ranch house and pays twice that just for cut. That PTA you had did not know how good they had it. Oh I hate Greensboro only go to see mother.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Why drop em ..... just raise the price