1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

dropping my biweekly cuts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jake the grass guy, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Member

2019 will be my 3rd year and my first 2 years i have picked up both weekly and biweekly customers. This year has been difficult to schedule since i do this on the side and will have 1 really busy week and the next week not so busy. I think the consistency of having weekly customers will not only give me more consistency but also allow me to pickup more weekly customers maximizing my schedule. thoughts?

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

I do a handful of every other week clients. I split them in 2 so one week I do half then the next week do the other half. I do them on Tuesday it's the only days route the is different every week. I stopped adding eow 2 seasons ago.

iand, Tara Ann, DXN1EL and 3 others like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Jake, this being a side gig you have more flexibility in what types of lawns you take. If you really hate or dread doing bi-weeklies drop them. Some aren't so bad while others are a pita.

One benefit to doing at least a few biweeklies is, at least in this area, that they rarely need to be skipped.

BigJlittleC made a good suggestion to help with work flow.

Tara Ann, Walker56 and hort101 like this.
  4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

My Wednesday route is almost all biweekly cuts in the city - all small lawns that are not overgrown. (mature trees in the city keep grass from growing much)
    I charge extra for the biweekly cuts, so overall, they are more profitable than some weekly cuts - and easy too.

Do what works for you.

5. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

Get rid of them! they are usually cheap clients and cause nothing but headaches...scheduling being one of those headaches. I dropped all mine this year and will have room for better weekly clients next year.

6. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

I would keep your biweekies, but if your charging $40 for weekly charge $48 for biweekies. Just be sure to spread them to odd and even weeks to make your schedule more even.

For your old customers tell them your increasing rates for biweekly and see if them want to go weekly for there current rate.

Tara Ann, Myers Lawn Care and hort101 like this.
  7. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

A large part of my business is biweekly. And the biggest headaches/problems? Biweekly customers.

This past year has been a significant change in the quality of the biweekly customer (if there is even such a thing...) and I realized the problem was me. The problem has been me the whole time. All they saw was a cheaper price...but were expecting the same results as a weekly mowing. After I made it very clear that our price consists of 1 pass with the mower, a biweekly lawn will leave clumps and an uneven cut. We also don't edge biweekly lawns.

From there it's up to them if they want to let us mow it or shop someone else, or hopefully sign up with us for a weekly service. If they go with us, and complain, I give them the "I told you so" response.

If scheduling is an issue, be honest with the customer. Let them know you'd love to maintain their lawn, but are filled up this week and ask if they can wait until next week. Some will say yes, it can wait. I've had some that say it can't wait, and they hired another company to do a one time cut and we mowed it the following week.

In the end, to each their own. But before dropping them, think long and hard about it because you won't be able to get them back. You can't really say "sorry, I made a mistake and I really need your money".

8. MLGA

MLGA LawnSite Member

I tell them mostly i do weekly only unless your yard doesn't grow as fast as my weeklies then i can put you on a biweekly basis. basically everyone is on a weekly schedule unless told otherwise

Chris in NWA likes this.
  9. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Honestly, everyone here has different lawns and different situations.
    Clumps on a biweekly? Extra work??? Not mine - because I won't take a lawn as a biweekly unless it is easily mowed every other week - if it looks like 2 weeks growth when you get there on week 2, it's going to be a hassle that I don't want.
    Starting out, you may not be able to tell how a lawn grows just by looking at it, but you learn to see clues that help you to tell.

Not all lawns are the same - different grass, different locations - different.
    There are plenty of lawns here (manly in the city, and mainly very small) that can be cut every two weeks with ease. THOSE are the ones that I keep and are more profitable. The decision to saddle yourself with lawns that are a mess when cut every two weeks is on you. If you accept them, don't complain about it if the grass grows too much between cuts and looks like crap.

Heck, I have 2 people that are cut weekly that I'm dropping next season because they fertilize WAY too much. It's just not worth the aggravation. A lawn like that would be a nightmare to cut biweekly and no amount of "charge them extra" would offset the crap you'd have to deal with.

The only issue I really have to deal with in terms of biweekly accounts is the first cut of the season - I can't start both groups of "wednesday people" on the same Wednesday, so I typically have a bit of a struggle with the first cut with the group that gets started "second".
    Scheduling is only really an issue if it rains A LOT. Otherwise, it's not hard to schedule. I do NOT allow biweekly accounts to "skip this week" - if I did that, then I'd have people from "week a" now on the "week b" schedule.

I guess I'm repeating myself, but biweekly mowing is only an issue if you allow it to be.

10. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell them that’s fine but I only do biweeklies Monday or Tuesday. I always give a higher price. My Tuesday route is only biweeklies so my regular schedule is never thrown off. I clock more per hour on my eows than my regulars since I price them all high.

Tara Ann, DXN1EL and sjessen like this.