Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a jump in drought threads. Like to be the first one in. Drought never materialized here last year

3 days straight no rain and most customers havent got their irrigation systems running yet.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
No drought for the Mid-Atlantic region this year, not unless certain predominant global weather pattern(s) shift.

You see...
Last year was a La Niña year and thus far this year is shaping up the same way. La Niña is the weather pattern that results in cooler temperatures and rainfall for at least the mid-atlantic area... I'm not familiar with what effects La Niña has on every part of the United States but apparently it results in dry and hot conditions for most of the Western United States?
Which, even that affects us since drought in Oregon means higher prices for grass seed.

When it shifts, and it will, we get into an El Niño pattern which will most likely result in much warmer temperatures and far less rainfall for the Mid-Atlantic region, it will not get that way until the weather pattern shifts but once it does it can remain that way for quite some time. The last time the predominant El Niño weather pattern emerged we were in a drought in my area for seven years...

That being said...
As of April La Niña continues in the tropical Pacific, with both the ocean and atmosphere clearly reflecting La Niña conditions. The current forecast favors the continuation of La Niña through the summer (59% chance), with a slightly lower chance into the fall (50-55% chance). A third-year La Niña would be pretty unusual—we’ve only seen two others since 1950.

There is a lot of uncertainty in the current forecast. The odds for La Niña to remain through the next few months are fairly confident, bolstered by cooler subsurface water temperatures and the current strong Walker circulation. The chance of a third-year La Niña has a slight edge for the fall, over the chance of neutral conditions. El Niño is unlikely—less than 10% chance. None of the models are predicting El Niño for the fall, and none of March's atmospheric conditions have been followed by El Niño later in the year. It’s not impossible—nature is full of surprises—but very unlikely.

You can read up on more of this article that described what brings drought and rain patterns here:

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
It has not rained inside my house at all since I moved here over 40 years ago.

·
Registered
9,545 Posts
If a drought happens I’ll appear prophetic. Hedging my bets.
Come on man, your thread title suggests we are in a drought. Yes, It's been a dry spring historically. But if you paid attention those years of dry spring have produced damp summers, well for us in New England. Have ya seen the real drought out west? We are lucky to get some rain here once a week.

Map World Font Line Atlas

·
Registered
54 Posts
Western OK here. We normally get around 27" of rain per year. So far this year we've gotten right at 5" since the first of the year, and 2" of that has been in the past seven days. Those are the official numbers at our local airport anyway. I can tell you I've had closer to 4" for the year here at my place.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Last season all I did was post downpour/storm photos in the drought thread. Not so lucky this season.

Just skipped my first two lawns by choice.
I missed most of last Monday's cuts due to truck trouble, and this week, most of them are still low and brown.
We haven't even hit July yet!

I don't think there's any rain in the forecast all week.
:(

I may have to resort to putting some hours in at Walmart. :( :(

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Getting a jump in drought threads. Like to be the first one in. Drought never materialized here last year

3 days straight no rain and most customers havent got their irrigation systems running yet.
Homeowners are so stupid when it comes to running their sprinkler system. They wait until it gets hot and dry for two weeks before turning on their systems, and the Lawn goes into dormancy. Then they OVER water and create fungal issues and a muddy soft Lawn. Then they continue to run into fall when it's cooler out and the Lawn turns into a bog. Idiots.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Homeowners are so stupid when it comes to running their sprinkler system. They wait until it gets hot and dry for two weeks before turning on their systems, and the Lawn goes into dormancy. Then they OVER water and create fungal issues and a muddy soft Lawn. Then they continue to run into fall when it's cooler out and the Lawn turns into a bog. Idiots.
Saw a lady watering her flowers with a hose.
Then she started spraying water out onto the brown grass for a minute or two.

I didn't bother saying anything about wasting the water on the grass.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Only irrigated are green here. Non irrigated are toast. I have a few non irrigated this year but they get charged every second week regardless. Just pull up, make some noise and leave.

Irrigated all cut weekly. Drought means nothing but easier cuts on them.

irrigated and Non irrigated

Attachments

1 - 20 of 153 Posts