drought, heatwave billing issues

Thecrow1

LawnSite Member
as some of you know I'm getting lots of lawns lately so have been taking them. btw I jumped on a Gravely 48 inch to supplement my landscaping business. Best machine I've ever bought besides my can am hd 10 for playtime. Questions for you lawn experts. I cut certain customers by the cut, per month 3x or 4x for thos pplnwho like pretty lawns. I'm having trouble now during our heatwave where most of their grass is brown and under stress. Bottom line, I need to change my work model because I have lost a weeks worth of cuts thus far. I cant get all my customers on board with a monthly fee either regardless of how many cuts. I also picked up some commercial accounts so I may drop those smaller per cut residential, i need a way to keep getting paid during July and August and during droughts and heatwaves thank you

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
Did they sign an agreement to x number of cuts/month for however many months during the growing season?

The way you sell it is you will maintain it for $x/month. It will save the money during wet months because you are spreading it out and they aren't paying for the extra cut during the wet periods. Easy to budget a flat cost per month.

OP
T

Thecrow1

LawnSite Member
Did they sign an agreement to x number of cuts/month for however many months during the growing season?

The way you sell it is you will maintain it for $x/month. It will save the money during wet months because you are spreading it out and they aren't paying for the extra cut during the wet periods. Easy to budget a flat cost per month.
No I have different customers some are 3x per month, some 4x and some per cut next year i will need to get everyone on a monthly monthly fee im thinking. Because during March April and may im cutting constantly now I'm sitting here sporadically cutting lawns because grass does not grow here until at least September. July and August are bad months here for a per cut customer looking for a template contract some of you guys use

Caledwen

LawnSite Senior Member
I charge per cut. The majority of my customers get mowed bi-weekly. I scheduled certain areas on certain days of the week. Then at the end of the month I send out invoices. I don't feel right charging a blanket charge for every month. From about mid June on we are super hot, humid and DRY. If the customer doesn't have a sprinkler system, the lawn here is on the verge of being dormant. But if we get rain, watch out the weeds will come ALIVE :-D

OP
T

Thecrow1

LawnSite Member
I charge per cut. The majority of my customers get mowed bi-weekly. I scheduled certain areas on certain days of the week. Then at the end of the month I send out invoices. I don't feel right charging a blanket charge for every month. From about mid June on we are super hot, humid and DRY. If the customer doesn't have a sprinkler system, the lawn here is on the verge of being dormant. But if we get rain, watch out the weeds will come ALIVE :-D
Yeah I see everyone is different. I have to be fair but also cant be sitting here with the proverbial thumb up..... if you know what I mean. If it werent for my landscaping I wouldnt be hardly cutting now until late August

Caledwen

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah I see everyone is different. I have to be fair but also cant be sitting here with the proverbial thumb up..... if you know what I mean. If it werent for my landscaping I wouldnt be hardly cutting now until late August
I hear ya. I'm a part timer, so my financial hit isn't as big not being able to mow for periods.

BigJlittleC

LawnSite Fanatic
If the grass slows down sell other work. Every year the grass slows around this time I find it useful to help get caught up on all the smaller stuff that I could not get to during the spring rush of fast growing grass.

If your hurting this bad during season what are you going to do in the winter off season?

KUMA01

LawnSite Bronze Member
Exactly why you shouldn’t be a maint only company. Unless you have serious volume.