Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else experienced dry soils for the past couple months? Clay soil & sunny lawns have cracks up to one inch wide. Most homeowners refuse to water, but they sure know how to weedeat down to the dirt.

Anybody having problems killing difficult weeds when they're nearly dormant?

How about giving up trying to spot spray crabgrass or foxtail due to dormancy?

Anybody causing brown tracks with ride-on sprayers or mowers?

Anybody suspending app's until you get rain?

Have you switched to an ester herbicide for more efficient weed control?

Do you search for a "crack" to place your lawn flag?

rscvp, thanks

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
drop down to a LOW N fert...

Have you tried a vinegar herb? It works like roundup so you have to be careful, but it is suppose to basically explode the cells on the leaves or something like that. I am unsure if it will work with dormant/half dormant weeds.

Like I said, it is nonselective so care should be taken. I have never used it but I hear it works well...

I may be way off... just a thought...

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I continue to apply the same fertilizer with advice to the customer to irrigate if and when possible. I also continue to spot spray for weeds using extreme caution. I won't spray severely drought stressed lawns. You get good control with less product in higher temps ( in most cases).At least that is what I have found. I don't know about the Mid West but around here I would never use an Ester formulation in hot,dry conditions. You'd do more harm than good.JMO

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most friendly competitors are also spraying "weed & feed" now cuz it's time to spray the new crop of dandies , and no one has a financial choice not to get the app's down.

We finally found a liquid fert that does not 'tip burn' turf (NutraFlow). I think it's a 16-2-6?? (not at the office now). Our large lawns are being treated with a 34-3-12 LESCO granular slow release fert plus UAP's 'mecamine-D' using a "TURFCO T3000". This ride-on currently treats more than twice what our average " hose puller" treats. (no brainer for us to buy a 2nd TURFCO unit this winter).

But knotweed & spurge along the curbs almost always requires an ester herb. Tough deal. We keep missing out on significant rainfall. Go figure when thousands of homes were destroyed this spring from record rainfall.

What kind of Fert are you putting down when its dry like this? I am always afraid of cooking the lawn when its so hot and dry, but as I continue to add customers I am going to have no choice but to keep applying to stay ahead.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'm using a 33-0-7 blend that is 96% slow release. Only spot spraying weeds and crabgrass as needed. Lawns that have been irrigated are in great shape with only a few weeds, especially some nutsedge.

·
Registered
509 Posts
We are small enough here in KC that we are delaying the start of are fall rounds till we get some significant rainfall. We might make a decision to severly water down the nitrogen. Instead of two gallons per M we might go to four or five.

Matt

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the same thing years back (having to wait until late September until the rains came), but we have no choice. A close friend of mine (Delaware) is also delaying app's. Tough deal -- affecting much of this Country.

We are small enough here in KC that we are delaying the start of are fall rounds till we get some significant rainfall. We might make a decision to severly water down the nitrogen. Instead of two gallons per M we might go to four or five.

Matt

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
luckily we have been getting hit with these hurricanes, well, getting the rain. My county is the only county that is not under a complete watering ban and that is because we have a nice sized lake right in the middle of it, plus our county surprisingly enough was smart enough to start building resevoirs all over for just this reason.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sometimes we get the remnents of hurricanes, but so far...nothing. So I request a prayer for rain from you. No need to type -- just say one. Can't hurt. Thanks. :usflag: p.s. even our dandelions are going dormant. :laugh:

luckily we have been getting hit with these hurricanes, well, getting the rain. My county is the only county that is not under a complete watering ban and that is because we have a nice sized lake right in the middle of it, plus our county surprisingly enough was smart enough to start building resevoirs all over for just this reason.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Gustav is sitting on my state and not expected to move until Thursday afternoon. It has been coming in waves of 35mph wind and rain every 15-20 minutes all day. We've gotten 3+ today and some areas may get 15 before it moves out. I probably won't be able to work until Friday. Been working on equipment and taking care of some "honey-do's".

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Has anybody else experienced dry soils for the past couple months? Clay soil & sunny lawns have cracks up to one inch wide.
The only 1" crack I've seen were on a fat guy re-roofing a house.

Anybody having problems killing difficult weeds when they're nearly dormant?
I did a $140 RoundUp job... and didn't manage to kill a friggin' thing because it was just a gravel lot. Plants weren't taking anything in. Waste of MY time and money...

How about giving up trying to spot spray crabgrass or foxtail due to dormancy?
I don't even bother on dry lawns. My contract clearly states that a dry lawn voids ALL guarantees. I refused to be punished for THEIR negligence.

Anybody causing brown tracks with ride-on sprayers or mowers?
That's called fertilizer burn, Larry.

Anybody suspending app's until you get rain?
Rain is the only time I DON'T do apps. :D I run liquid all summer long, regardless of conditions. Never burnt a lawn.

Have you switched to an ester herbicide for more efficient weed control?
I prefer to take the old "ignore it and maybe it'll go away" approach.

Do you search for a "crack" to place your lawn flag?
Not since I got arrested for sexual harassment.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whoopass -- next time I'll know not to sip on a beer while I read your post :laugh:.

We're in Des Moines (central Iowa), but the southeast third of the state expects rain from the hurricane. Looks like we'll miss out again.

Regarding tire tracks on lawns, we see them from lawn mowers too. I checked on 2 lawns today that were sprayed with Q4 a week ago for foxtail....it's still there. Seems the foxtail is not actively growing enough due to drought.

·
Registered
8,684 Posts
We're bone dry in Jersey. I can't get a soil probe into the ground.

We apply NP Aux-n-ite in July/Aug. It's a perfect time to add high % organic matter. No burn, long term slow release, long term benefits.

We use BurnOut for non-selective weed control.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Barry -- what amount per 1000 s/f is needed? I like the quality & safety, but it's only 5% N, 4% P (which we may not need), 0% K (which is good for stress tolerance, etc), 3% CA, 1% FE. I know guys who are applying nearly a full pound of N right now, and I'll bet their lawns could be greener than others once we get rain?? (customers expect this). We're also looking at a new "XCU" slow-release high N product for our winterizer. Last year, we paid less than $3.00 per gallon for our early fall fert, but it's at $4.85 now. Lots of things to consider. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
We're running the 16-2-3 screamin green from nutrients plus right now for our organic bridge customers. It's a nice slow release 60%. Supposed to get some rain from the hurricanes coming up the east coast by sat/sun. I hope we get some rain, the lawns are showing stress from lack of water.

on a side note Anybody else seeing a significant late outbreak of chinch? we had 3 calls today about brown lawns and all had chinch.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Larry! Great news! They are saying we are going to get hit by Hurricane Hanna! :)

My minister must have thought I was nuts pulling into the church late yesterday afternoon with 20 employees to take place in prayer activity in the sanctuary! j/k

The T3000 gets fired up tomorrow! AMEN! :cool2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.