Drought

Bruce513

LawnSite Member
Hey guys . I'm in Minnesota. We have not seen any rain since may . With that being said , we have lost about 60% of our income . I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get financial help because of the drought . I know farmers do, thru their insurance. I hate asking for help , but my rain dance is not working !!

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Time to get creative. Most customers recognize your plight and some will be more apt to realize that other projects can be done by reallocating the money saved on mowing. So, strike while the iron is hot.

OP
B

Bruce513

LawnSite Member
That's a good point . We considering offering pressure washer services . Homes , campers , driveways etc. Honestly, who wouldn't want to play with water in this heat

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
I hear there are paid pipeline protestors up by Menagha near Hwy 71. Maybe they are hiring?
Or will be soon,cuz I would expect a bunch of them to go missing PDQ.

Quackaddict

LawnSite Member
Hey guys . I'm in Minnesota. We have not seen any rain since may . With that being said , we have lost about 60% of our income . I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get financial help because of the drought . I know farmers do, thru their insurance. I hate asking for help , but my rain dance is not working !!

I am going through the same thing as you. Had some fortunate rain that kept us going longer than most, but still a lot of skips. I find people are more willing to be sold jobs right now if your not getting weekly charges for mowing...

Sold 3-4 pruning jobs to customers, dirt work to another, I dont edge on a regular basis so I have been doing a sort of mid summer cleanup for places where we pick up piles of branches and edge, cut out suckers in beds, etc.

It has not been easy this summer, I hope things improve for you.

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
Getting close to the best time of the year to seed lawns. Customer will have to water it though. More money in seeding than cutting.

Dead lawns need to be seeded.

OP
B

Bruce513

LawnSite Member
I am going through the same thing as you. Had some fortunate rain that kept us going longer than most, but still a lot of skips. I find people are more willing to be sold jobs right now if your not getting weekly charges for mowing...

Sold 3-4 pruning jobs to customers, dirt work to another, I dont edge on a regular basis so I have been doing a sort of mid summer cleanup for places where we pick up piles of branches and edge, cut out suckers in beds, etc.

It has not been easy this summer, I hope things improve for you.
Thanks for the ideas . Good ones too. Hope your season gets better

LawnGuy35

LawnSite Member
If it’s one thing I’ve learned in 10 years doing this solo, you HAVE to offer other services and you must ALWAYS promote them… landscape installs, removals, plantings, garden or landscape weeding, trimming/pruning, mulch or rock installs or removals, junk hauling, spraying weeds in driveway or sidewalk cracks, sight line tree branch trimming, power washing, edging, aerating and seeding, fall and spring cleanups, snow removal, etc. I don’t, but you can also offer apps and irrigation installs.

Relying on mowing only will make your time in this business short.

Absolutely hate droughts. If Mother Nature could give us an inch of rain a week from March through October, that’d be great. Wishful thinking. Good luck to you.

Top Forums