• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Dry creek bed quote

NTXlawnteacher

LawnSite Member
Morning Gents!
So I won a bid on a pretty simple residential lawn maintenance job. However, the owner asked if I could instal a dry creek bed. I think it's a pretty easy job. No real digging to speak of, just going to follow the topography thats already there. It's in the back yard and it is about 20'-25' long, will be about up to 5' wide and it flows into a drain that is already in place. I will be using 4"-6" river rock and placing larger stones/boulder for aesthetics. My question is how does one quote?
By the square foot? Mark up all materials? Time of labor? Been looking around just couldn't quite find a solid formula.
I know there will be a lot of different pieces that everyone uses to put a quote together. I'm just trying to find one that is a general, all around, standard. Luckily this isn't a large difficult job and I will be using this experience to learn from and help gauge other quotes in the future.
I appreciate your time. I have learned so much from lurking around here the last 6 months. Great place to come to when trolling for information.

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
Calculate your materials then bid it by the ton/ yard (whatever units your supplier sells in). A good benchmark is charging 3x your cost. If a ton of river rock costs $150, charge $400-450 per ton installed

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
How are you getting the rock in there? Is it a straight shot, fences/gates that have to be addressed? 2 man boulders? It might be an “easy” job, but it’s labor intensive! I’ve done a few, they all have their little obstacles!

OP
NTXlawnteacher

NTXlawnteacher

LawnSite Member
Luckily I will be able to drive fairly close to the back gate. 60' maybe. Will wheel barrow the rock into the back with out any obstacles. Straight shot. Not planning on any two man boulders. I expect to be pretty sore afterwards.

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
I’d probably plan on 3 tons of rock, better to have too much than come up short