• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Dry Seed or Hydroseed?

UghClay

LawnSite Member
I am renovating my back yard, I've killed off all the existing grass/weeds with RoundUp, the area is being re-graded back to a finish grade, and appropriate amounts of lime/peat moss are being applied. My next step is to seed/fertilize and I'm debating between just spreading the starter fertilizer and seed myself or renting a hydroseeder to spray the seed/fertilizer/hydroseed mulch mix onto the ground. Any thoughts on whether hydroseeding is worth the additional expense? Or will I end up with close to the same lawn by just spreading the seed/fertilizer?

Thanks,

Jeff

Guthrie&Co

LawnSite Senior Member
a hydo seeder just cuts running across the yard down alot. and increanses productivity. it just epends of how much yrad you have really

Guthrie&Co

LawnSite Senior Member
if it is a nwe grande i would apply the seed with a spreader. then i would apply starter fert, the apply the excelsior matting to control the seed from washing. as small as it sounds i wouldn't do a hydro seed.