1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Dry Seed or Hydroseed?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by UghClay, Sep 20, 2005.

1. UghClay

UghClay LawnSite Member

I am renovating my back yard, I've killed off all the existing grass/weeds with RoundUp, the area is being re-graded back to a finish grade, and appropriate amounts of lime/peat moss are being applied. My next step is to seed/fertilize and I'm debating between just spreading the starter fertilizer and seed myself or renting a hydroseeder to spray the seed/fertilizer/hydroseed mulch mix onto the ground. Any thoughts on whether hydroseeding is worth the additional expense? Or will I end up with close to the same lawn by just spreading the seed/fertilizer?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

a hydo seeder just cuts running across the yard down alot. and increanses productivity. it just epends of how much yrad you have really

3. UghClay

UghClay LawnSite Member

I have about 14,000 sq ft in my back yard.

4. Guthrie&Co

from nc

so its a new grade you say?

5. Guthrie&Co

from nc

if it is a nwe grande i would apply the seed with a spreader. then i would apply starter fert, the apply the excelsior matting to control the seed from washing. as small as it sounds i wouldn't do a hydro seed.