1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dry Stack Walls

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DoubleB, May 22, 2007.

1. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

never done any stone wall building with the dry stack method. Just curious on how you guys do it. Would like to experiment with it at my own house.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

To get it to look good, it takes a good eye, a lot of patience, several smashed fingers, and a "touch".... There is definately an art to it; more of an art than a science.

Base is compacted gravel, at least 6 inches, every course should be as level as possible, and don't make it look like some recently posted pics in this forum...

3. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

Maybe a stupid a question, but how does stone stacked on top of each other retain soil with no pin or lip design?

4. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

sorry clicked my mouse to early.....also with no mortar to itself or to a wall?

5. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

You wanna have a dri stack stone wall last forever and retain soil do it the right way....im a mason and this is how we do walls Concrete, block, mortor,stone.

2006 work 178.jpg

2006 work 185.jpg

2006 work 158.jpg

2006 work 182.jpg

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

MRB - How does your wall drain?

7. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

Cg...Basically i do it like a house foundation it has a 4" drain tile ran around the entire backside to daylight on one end and 57's all around it and on top.
    Ill have to post some pics of this one wall i did it was about 300+ ft long of drystack look western maryland stone and it holds back a huge pond the wall is a total of 30 inches thick.

8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a really great job! but... I have a question. If your going through all that work, what about cultured stone? Natual stone is nice, but it's heavy, you get a lot of waste, it needs to be washed, and the man made stuff may last longer. I always love real stone, but like anything that comes from nature, nothing lasts forever.

9. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

VERY NICE! That is just awesome work.