1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dt 466 Mpg

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Marek, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

looking at a new International with a dt 466 does anyone know a ball park of what to expect mpg wise?

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i have a part time job as a tow truck driver and we have 5 internationals sll the dt 466
    1 2003 manual
    1 2005 auto
    1 2005 manual
    1 2006 auto
    loaded the manuals are getting about 9-11mpg it actually has a setting on the tacometer for knowing this and the autos are getting just a tad less thatn that and its more loaded but i havent looked at it for a while but next time i work which is 3-11 on friday ill let you know

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

DBL: On a side note, do you need a CDL to drive that size of a tow truck. I have been thinking about doind some part time towing and most companies around here run trucks about that size. I need to know if I should expect to get a CDL (which I might just do anyway). Thanks!

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If the truck is rated over 29k lbs gvw, or has air brakes, you need a cdl.

Technically, if you got one that didn't have air brakes, and had it derated to 25 k lbs you could drive it without a cdl, but don't get stopped by the DOT over weight or your be real sorry.

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Actually it's 26001 lbs and heavier to require a CDL.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I would just get a CDL and not worry about it.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i've got a class A.........they're easy to get, if you fail then well, you prob shouldn't be driving anyway

8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I know about the 26,001 and the air brakes, but would some compainies make you have a CDL to drive a truck that say is 20,000 GVW? Is that legal to make someone get a CDL if it is underwieght? I will probably get one anyway as soon as I get a second.

9. DBL

no you dont need a cdl or not ive been doing this for about 1.5 years and all i needed to get was a medical card and airbrakes endorcement

10. DBL

but back to the mpg all weekend ive been driving the new 06 auto and loaded i was only getting about 5 or 6 mpg i dont know if the meter is right or not but thats what i was getting