1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dumbest Equipment Purchases You've Made.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Micky, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Micky

Micky Banned

Since I don't want to slam too many manufacurers won't go into extensive details why these were REALLY DUMB PURCHASES. I include how long I used them for at the end of each item.

1) Troy-Bilt 33" mower-- (not built for hard comm. use)-2 weeks

2)Troy-Bilt 5hp Shredder Vac-- (WB with a bag 10* faster vac couldn't shred a pencil)-5 lawns

3)Sutech Stealth--Still not sure what this clunker was built for.-3 days

4)Echo curved shaft trimmer--Discovered Echo straight shaft about a month later.-1 month

5)Handheld Blower--Discovered backpack second year in biz.-1 year

6)Echo HCR-1500 hedge clipper--Discovered Echo HC2410 a few years later.-3 years

7)Toro 21" with 6.5 Briggs--The 2 cycle is so much better.-6 months

All these machines are either collecting dust or sold. Coulda saved a fortune had I found Lawnsite 7 years ago.

2. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Only one:

Sutech stealth - 1 hour - sold at 300$ loss

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

a green and yellow mower that was suppose to mean i had arrived.good thing is it had a good resale value

4. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

Echo Stick Edger. Tried it and really intended to use it, but I just didn't like it. I just bought the Tanaka TPH-270 articulating hedge trimmer from Alamia.com, hope I like it. My dealer had the Echo Hca 2400 for some ridiculous price and decided to see if I could do better online, so we'll see. I'm all for staying with the same dealer cause he'll fix you quick in a jam, but I get a little tired of getting bent over the chair and having him pick my pocket.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, when I bought my Homelite 3 years ago and realized I would need something better down the road. Actually, the thing still runs and trims and edges all my lawns every week for 3 years, but I wish I had a Stihl :cool:

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

36" Honda tru-gear. Cut good, but the controls were terrible. Nobody wanted to use it. It would wear you out. 4 months I sold it.

Encore mower. Spindles suck, along with anything else that can break. Still have it, makes a good w/b bushhog.

Every bagger for a w/b I ever bought.

7. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

i think that most of us, when we are starting out buy stuff that we think we will need. then later on we find out that a more expensive machine would have worked much better. we realize that starting with commercial machines is the best idea, and that using homeowners machines for commercial work is a waste of time and money. i remember some stuff that i bought that was dumb. i remember when i was about 8 or 9 years old i purchased a walk behind reel mower. the kind that you power yourself. figured i could cut grass with it. yeah right. well i junked it a couple weeks back.

8. dhicks

dhicks Member

No laughing... But I bought a Poulan Chain Saw 13". Junk-Junk-Junk. I did get a Shindawa as a replacement and man is that Smoooooooth as compared to the Poulan.:blob4:

9. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

33" Snapper Z-Rider, used maybe 3 times total, before I put it up for sale. Three months later someone finally stole it (I hope the burgler doesn't return it):angel: .

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

WeedEater Blower-Not Long, cant remember it was 1985.

Weedeater Trimmer - I believe this was the one that lasted about 5 minutes before it blew up.

Echo single side HT- Bent the blades within 30 minutes

Sachs-Dolmar 21" mower - used it for maybe 4 hours total, couldn't even find blades for it. The worst part my best dealer sold me this POS. I lost a lot of respect for him for that.

Stihl 020 Super Chain Saw used - Once again from the above dealer. Supposed to be a low hour machine. Within hours it needed major repairs and after fixed lasted 5 minutes.

Toro 21" Commercial- The first two were excellent this was a lemon. I should have bought a 36" the day I spent $950 on this piece.

GreenMachine curved shaft trimmer- once again this was in the early days and it never ran right.