1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Bed Conversion

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Daves Propert Maintenance, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Daves Propert Maintenance

Daves Propert Maintenance LawnSite Member
    from USA

Does anyone have a regular pickup truck that has the hydraulic lift and dump kit installed?

I have a 97 F150 and there is not a kit made for my truck. I am looking for anyone with any knowledge of this or some helpful insight. A dump bed conversion ($900) is much cheaper than an insert ($2500), and I also like the weight savings.

Let me know what is the best way to go.

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

typically conversions will only destroy your bed over time. Beds are not designed for lifting. The only kit I have seen that even starts to make sense is at www.stealthdumptrucks.com.....

D

3. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

I think in order to do either you need a bigger truck. Some pros and cons of both. If you make you bed dump then you have to remove you bumper or lose you hitch. I have seen two trucks in the area with this. Liberty has one and it doesn't have a hitch and theres a 3/4 ton chevy, I believe they are called "cut right" his plate is "MOW4U" and he doesn't have a bumper. I had the easy dumper insert and liked it but it weighs a lot. Just the insert dropped my 1 ton an inch. After a days mowing with the weight of the grass trailer with equipment and insert my truck was dropped about 5 inches. If you have the funds available buy an old 86-90 dump or something like that to get you through. When you start needing to haul mulch, Let me know I know of places to get great deals, You'll need a dump. And come fall clean up time its a must have.

4. Daves Propert Maintenance

Daves Propert Maintenance LawnSite Member
    from USA

I was also considering putting a truck loader with plywood box on the back for fall, and using the loader to empty it. Any thoughts?
    I don't think that a dump is in the cards for me right now, but maybe in a few years...

5. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Years ago I had one of these dump beds on my '73 Ford F-250. I'm not sure who the manufacture was. It was on a wrecked truck I bought to replace the bed on my truck. I used it for 10 years dumping mulch, firewood, stone, gravel, dirt, etc. It wasn't as sturdy and a regular dump truck body, but 95%of the time I didn't need a dump truck anyway. I sold the truck a few years ago and I sure do miss that dump feature. I'm putting one on the truck I just bought this spring. If it's your truck and you only need a dump now and then I'd say it's well worth the money. If you're going to get into some heavy hauling then go for a dump truck.