1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dump bed insert

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by flykelley, Mar 6, 2005.

1. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

Ok Guy's
    I'm new here but been a member of Plowsite for a little over a year. My idea is my truck sits all summer so why not get a dump box insert and sell and deliver landscaping supply's. I do not want to get into the lawn care end of this, just want to delivery supplies and try to make a little money in the summer. The idea is a 3/4 HD can get into place's a 5 yd Dump can't. This way the homeowner will not have to move mulch and top soil as far. Any thought's or idea's.

Thanks Mike

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you can hold enough volume to make it worth it.

I guess 1-3 yards (4-5 with sideboards of mulch) you could deliver, and most places charge a seperate delivery fee....you may be able to.

I would hook up with a local supply place and see if they need another delivery truck. Unless you are talking about stocking the stuff yourself.

Problem is, you will be required to hold a business insurance policy (if you don't already have one) which, just for that reason is not going to be worth it.

3. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

Yes I carry a business insurance policy. I was thinking a $35.00 delivery fee plus material. You are right 2-3 yds at max on that truck. Something to think about.

Mike

4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the suppliers in the area deliver for free or a small fee. The only way you could make anything is to get a better deal on the materials so you can mark it up a bit. Otherwise I think it wouldn't be worth the hassle.