1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Bodies?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Wayne Landscaping, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

Im lookin to get a chassis f550 with a dump body and i dont know how to get them or how to put them on, cause someone who has one help me out, would u reccomend one specific brand, and how much have u paid for them? thanks

2. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

A good brand is Rugby, they make great bodies.

3. freddy123252

freddy123252 LawnSite Member

you almost have to have them put on professionally

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Actually Henderson makes the better dump bodies they use a better hoist I would stay away from scissor hoists they add weight to the truck and they add loading height. A Henderson body uses a telescoping hoist it will bend the truck frame before it powers out.

If you are going to get a F-550 get a truck with a 84 cab axle or a regular cab 165 wheelbase and a 11' box it will carry more and the truck will ride better being a longer wheelbase. A F-550 short wheebase with a 8 or 9 foot box would ride pretty rough.

As for installing a dump box its not too bad the 99 and newer F-450 and 550 have straight frame rails so its easy to mount a body. It shouldn't take anymore than a day to have a box installed and hydraulics hooked up.
    With a F-550 I would consider having PTO hydraulics or a clutch pump your dumping a good chunk of weight a 12 volt hyraulic pump may not do it.

5. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

thanks guys

6. Green Grass

Green Grass LawnSite Member
    from MN

For dump bodies find a crysteel dealer you will be very very happy with them