1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Dump hoist to my truck or dump trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by IHI, Feb 10, 2007.

1. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

:cool2: I'm confused on what to do. I have a 99 F550 with a flatbed/tommy lift bed on it right now. I need some type of dump bed or dump trailer. I have found a tandem 10' dump trailer and don't know if I should buy it or turn my truck into a dump truck? If I buy the dump trailer, I'm going to trade/sell my truck for a single axle 1-ton for better fuel efficiency.

If I go with the dump trailer, it'll cost me around 4 k. If I turn my truck into a dump truck, it'll cost about 3k.
    So far, the biggest con to getting the trailer is that I don't like to deal with the length and backing up, especially when loaded with rock and at a customer's site. Your thought/inputs...

2. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go with it on the truck if you don't like backing up a trailer full of material. Plus its just easier to get around.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would make the F-550 into a dump truck a trailer is a big pain in the azz. If you buy a trailer then you said you need to buy another truck so your looking at big money. A F-550 dump will easily carry 8000lbs and you will beable to go anywhere with it. How are you supposed to get a trailer in a tight spot ?

4. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Grain Body on the truck is a no brainer.

5. ODC

ODC LawnSite Member

I would go with the truck conversion. Especially if DOT is an issue in your area.

Steve