1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

dump insert

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by treadlite, Sep 22, 2007.

1. treadlite

treadlite LawnSite Member

has anyone out there used a dump insert on a pickup?? If so, how much weight would it carry and how did it perform?? thanks

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I got one in my 350, I can put 2 yards of stone in it, probably shouldnt do it often and i dont, but for cutting grass and mulch you cant beat it. I can put 5 yards of mulch in the back if I want. Just give yourself room when its loaded, like anything it takes alot more to stop it. I got pictures of it somewhere if you want to see it.

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I have an EZ-dumper in my F-350. I use it mainly for grass clippings and leaves. I have hauled dirt in it but only filled it to the top of the side not up to the side boards. Once you start hauling dirt then a dump truck would be more efficiant since it has dual wheels and is built for that kind of weight.

4. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

im getting mine one monday i getting it mainly for leaves. i paid 2800 after tax and installed

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got one in a Chevy 2500HD and I love it. I can haul 2800 lbs at the trucks max GVWR and on occaision have hauled 4000+. In your F350 DRW you will actually be able to carry more weight than an F350 cab/chassis with a dump box because the insert and pickup box combined weigh less than a commercial dump bed and hoist. I have a 5,000 lb. rated Maxidump. It's also available in a 10,000 lb. rated model. The inserts are not built as heavy as a commercial dump body but for debris, mulch and occasionally dirt and gravel they are great.

6. amanda8950

amanda8950 LawnSite Member

Is EZ Dump the best around ? When I have seen dump inserts, that seems like what most guys have. I have looked at them but if I ever bite the bullet, would really like to get the stainless one - I think it's about another $1200. Does anyone know if you can rhino-line a dump insert like you can a bed ?

7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't see why you couldn't line it. I think it would work fine.

8. jfmx345

jfmx345 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a Downeaster dump insert in my 3500 dually. Works great for mulch. It hauls 5yds with the sides on, loads into a wheel barrow perfectly.
    I can legally haul 1.5tons, so it's not so great for stone.
    I have had 2.5 tons in and it dumped well.
    I also have a spray in bed liner in mine and couldn't be happier with it.

9. amanda8950

amanda8950 LawnSite Member

jfmx345 -

where are you from in PA ? I'm about 20 miles east of Pittsburgh. Where did you get your insert ? Did you install or did they ? Can I ask a ballpark of what you paid ?

10. jfmx345

jfmx345 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I'm just outside of Harrisburg, I got mine @ Allpro in Mechanicsburg.
    Mine was $2500 installed. I think they may have gone up a little since I got mine. I also got my dump trailer from them. If you call them, ask for Ty. He is great to deal with.