1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dump inserts....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fiveoboy01, Jul 27, 2007.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

As this season has gone on, I simply wish I'd purchased a new truck(cab and chassis duallie) with a dump body on the back. I could have(and still can) gotten a cheby 1-ton 6.0 equipped as such for less than I paid for my truck. They're stickering at around 1K less than my truck was when I purchased it last year...

Anyways, I'm needing some sort of dump-able hauling ability. I've been looking at the dump inserts and wondering if they're a viable alternative to a dump trailer.... I was looking at one with a 6K# lift capacity and a 2-yard volume, though I can add sides to increase the volume.

I know some of you are using these. Would I be better off paying twice as much for the dump trailer(weight would not ALL be on the rear suspension this way)? I remember that nobagger is using the Downeaster brand, and these are what I've been looking at. Looking for some input, any and all is appreciated:waving:

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Depends what you need to haul and how much. My dump trailer can legally (and safely) have a 8,000# load on it. With the wood side I can take 9 cubic yards of debris level. Now, I can't take 9 yards of stone but we have done 10 yards of mulch, 4 yards of topsoil/fill, ~15yds of shredded leaves with the vac, or 2-3 yards of stone. We have also placed 6 pallets of sod in there (500sqft pallets).

I know for sure the volume isn't going to be the same and I don't believe the capacity will be...for the dually pickup that is. Not sure what the weight rating is but you then have to subtract the dumper itself, you, employees, tools, etc. I found by the time you do that you are lucky to be able to place 2-3 yards of topsoil in there. But, if thats all you do then thats probablly fine.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the idea of a dump insert but don't think you will get the capacites of lets say an F450/550 or a dump trailer. If the budgets tight pick up a dump trailer, cash to spend get a drump truck with fold down sides. Best of all worlds.

Cheers

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It really depends on the quantity of material you will need to pick up at one time. You can get 5 yards of mulch in a bed, but only about 3 yards of topsoil due to weight. I use my dump trailer for larger quantities that are in one area, but if I have them scattered I just have Travel'n Trees deliver it to me w/ his Chevy & dump bed. He's got a pretty sweet little setup that you can open a gate, fill your wheelbarrow, & close it again w/o getting any all over the ground. It seems to save me quite a little time that way.

5. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

If weight is a problem go with a dump trailer. As a matter of fact even if it isnt go with a dump trailer. They are much more versatile. A friend of mine just bought a dump insert, however, he got it for dirt cheap and it works great!!! They are definitely useful, but I would rather invest in something that can carry more weight, can double as storage in the winter, and has more volume capacity than a dump insert. HTH