dump Leaf box on f150 8' with insert vs. chassis cab

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawncuttinfoo, Jan 2, 2018.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

In the market for 2nd truck considering an f150 with 3K loading capacity (so about 2.5K after dump insert)
    vs.
    just going straight to chassis cab then putting a dump box on top. 4800 capacity (so probably 4k after dump installed?)

the f150 setup would be ~40K (31k for truck and 9k for aluminum truck craft dump installed)
    vs.
    the chassis cab at ~44K (34K truck and 13K for aluminum chassis dump installed, would still need to build a box on top.

the 150 leaf box can hold 10 cu yd, the chassis would depend on the build but be quite a bit bigger, not sure if needed.

anyway looking for opinions, long term value, current value and usability, appearance etc.

TIA

2. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Go with a cab and chasie. You not going to be hauling leaves year round. A dump truck can be used year round. Get a 1 ton truck you'll be much happier when in July the truck is still paying for itself.

ltdlawn and hort101 like this.
  3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Got to compare the gvw and gvwc:weightlifter:

4. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

he's looking at 1/2 ton trucks. I said 1 ton cab n chasie because of the gvw. A dump body on a 1/2 ton isn't going to be very useful.

Mdirrigation and hort101 like this.
  5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I agree I'm thinking a dump body is over 500#s
    Only advantage of a 1/2 ton is registration but you'll be over legal weight pretty quick:weightlifter:

RDALawns likes this.
  6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

For resale the f150 with dump will put off most f150 buyers. This class of truck is more for the I want a truck but don't need one crowd.

A larger (3/4 and up) chassis cab will also hold it's value compared to a f150 that's seen the same amount of work and loads.

hort101 and RDALawns like this.
  7. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Ford only makes cab and chassis options on 350 and up

hort101 and RDALawns like this.
  8. lawncuttinfoo

Sorry for the confusion, both setups would be dumps.

Thinking about capacity the chassis sits on top of the wheels where the insert goes between so a bit of lost width seems to be made up for in depth on the 150 insert. Leaning toward the 150, now.

The 150s are essentially 1.5 ton trucks these days and we don't do landscaping just lawns so that's why I'm still on board with the 150.

9. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

If you really want the f150 to dump I would go the route with the stock bed dump kits. You keep your stock bed size and if you install it correctly it will keep the stock look. That is untill you hit the button!
    Like something like these

http://www.stealthdumptrucks.com

Mark Stark likes this.
  10. lawncuttinfoo

Ya the chassis is 350.
    I like those stealth ones but looks like no 160 option right now.
    The f150 with payload package gives 3100 lb loading weight so Ya after insert still have 2500 to use.