Dump trailer powder coat?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ron mexico75, Oct 9, 2017.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Silver Member

Got my dump trailer back in March. I have probably used it about a dozen times or so. Noticed the other day that there's a big spot and several other small spots on the floor of the bad towards the rear that are totally peeled away to the bare metal. Obviously dumping and scooping things out with the shovel is harsh but is this normal?

If it is normal do you just let it go? Or should I try sanding and using some spray paint in those areas or my just fighting a losing battle?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Powder coating sucks.

It's the bed, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are, rattle can it.

RDALawns, RussellB and dieselss like this.
  3. ron mexico75

Cool maybe I'll do that at the very end of the season so it's not sitting all winter long bare metal.

Yeah I don't understand why it's marketed as something great and kind of above the norm if you know what I mean. Like "our trailers are POWDER COATED!" like it's something special. I mean I guess paint will peel too but not in the huge patches like powder coat.

JLSLLC likes this.
  4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Keeping any kind of coating in a dump bed is an exercise in futility.

Mdirrigation and RDALawns like this.
  5. Turf Kare

Turf Kare LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve seen people Rhino Line their dump trailer. Just depends on what yours using it for bc if you Rhino Line it, it becomes less slick.
    But I’ve also seen people spray Line it also.

6. ron mexico75

Yeah I've heard that too. I'm wondering really how much less slick? 10, 25, 50% ? Not dur it's worth it. Maybe just sand areas and hit it with some rustoleum....

Like it's been said.....it is a DUMP bed.....not a sports car hood.

Mdirrigation and hort101 like this.
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

When's the last time you saw a dump truck with finished bed. Loose material isn't much problem, but wet stickey mud. Bed liner would be a nightmare in that instance.

hort101 and RDALawns like this.
  8. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

The bed of my dump truck is slick n shiny from use. If your trailer set more than it's used raise it up about 6 inches. So when it rains it doesn't set in there in a low spot. Other than that just leave it be.

hort101 likes this.
  9. ron mexico75

Yeah… Mine is on its way there. Glad I purchased earlier this year because I have really used the heck out of it.

As far as keeping it raised, I was told not to do that by others on this site because it's bad for the ram. Instead, I was told just to crank the jack up so the trailer sits back at an angle and water rolls off that way. Not sure if that's 100% right or not but just thought I'd post it.

hort101 likes this.
  10. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Only way I can see it being bad on ram. would be if the ram got rust on it and knocked out a seal. Again I'm like you there I have no idea right or wrong.