Lawn Care Forum banner

Dump trailer powder coat?

10K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  ron mexico75 
#1 ·
Got my dump trailer back in March. I have probably used it about a dozen times or so. Noticed the other day that there's a big spot and several other small spots on the floor of the bad towards the rear that are totally peeled away to the bare metal. Obviously dumping and scooping things out with the shovel is harsh but is this normal?

If it is normal do you just let it go? Or should I try sanding and using some spray paint in those areas or my just fighting a losing battle?

#3 ·
Cool maybe I'll do that at the very end of the season so it's not sitting all winter long bare metal.

Yeah I don't understand why it's marketed as something great and kind of above the norm if you know what I mean. Like "our trailers are POWDER COATED!" like it's something special. I mean I guess paint will peel too but not in the huge patches like powder coat.

#5 ·
I’ve seen people Rhino Line their dump trailer. Just depends on what yours using it for bc if you Rhino Line it, it becomes less slick.
But I’ve also seen people spray Line it also.

#9 ·
Yeah… Mine is on its way there. Glad I purchased earlier this year because I have really used the heck out of it.

As far as keeping it raised, I was told not to do that by others on this site because it's bad for the ram. Instead, I was told just to crank the jack up so the trailer sits back at an angle and water rolls off that way. Not sure if that's 100% right or not but just thought I'd post it.

#14 ·
It's not bad for the ram unless you have on old unit that's on it's way out. All the dealers around here display them with dump fully extended. Reality is the bed is extremely thick and it would take sitting for years to damage it. I've watched the highway construction for years around here. If it's got a boom it's raised with a pump, generator or other pilferable item hanging off it.

#15 ·
Yeah I was doing some reading in regards to leaving it up. More so than possible strain on the ram it's more of a safety issue. What if it gave out? Kids and pets around if parked in driveway etc.

I don't really see a reason to keep it lifted up, I just crank the jack up so it's tilted back and doesn't collect water.

#16 ·
2 sides to this argument. Most commercial insurance company require all hydraulically lifted equipment to be lowered . My dump trailer has a load lock cylinder. It will not lower without applied 12v power.But falling is still possible but not likely and if you on raises it a couple inches nothing can get to the pinch point besides maybe mice or snakes.

#17 ·
Scrap off the loose stuff. Rattle can it for protection. Get your self a plastic/silicone insert like they use in the Tri-Axle dumps. That is the ultimate protection. We did it on ours and love it. It makes the already slippery metal bed like grease. NOTHING sticks. It can even handle hot asphalt from what I am told. Be fore warned. It is expensive. Was close to a grand about 3 years ago. I did it not so much for the protection, but the slipperiness. Really helps things slide out with out any effort.

#18 ·
Wow that sounds awesome. I'm not familiar with those at all. The one thing I hate is working off the trailer with topsoil. I can put the dump bed all the up and at least a few wheelbarrows of it sticks all the way at the top due to the moisture. I mean, yeah, I could move the truck and rock it but don't like doing that. I could dump all the soil on the ground all at once but that defeats the purpose of shoveling down into a wheelbarrow versus up off the ground.

Sounds like the liner would serve as protection obviously and also have an added benefit of being slick. But, that's a big business expense I'm not sure I can justify at this point. I think scraping/sanding and spray painting to just stay on top of it is a better trade off....at least for now.

#21 ·
My dump trailer is about 5 years old and the bed is missing the majority of the powder coat from halfway back. It rusts if it sits with water in it but then it gets used again and cleans out all that brown surface rust development. :laugh:

The sheet now has minor deformations in it from heavy loads and whatnot. But it hasn't lost any strength of the floor from what I can tell. My biggest concern is sitting in the winter. Usually where I store it is already on a downward angle so I just crank up the jack to increase it to let water flow out. I think for winter this year I will shoot the bed with fluid film as it does a good job on other things.

There was someone on here, maybe perfectearth, who had his bed repainted professionally. He knew it was just going to get worn off but decided to do so anyways.

#23 ·
I like the idea of fluid film. I use that stuff all the time and didn't even think about the floor of the dump trailer! You just you a spray can or paint it on with the bucket of fluid film?

Speaking about that....I'm a little confused. For some items....do you spray and then wipe off? I thought I read that if spraying tools or other things you're gonna be touching, there is a molecular bond of protection. Meaning just because it's not soaked and wet doesn't mean it's not protected. Any truth to that? If so, would you spray the dump bed floor and then rub it in and kind if "wipe off" so there isn't a visible layer of film?

While I'm on the subject of dump trailers, what do you all do over the winter with the battery? Anything, or just leave it as is?

#22 ·
on the frame styel trailers we put a physical stop ( 6x4 six side verticle ) under the front of the box by the ram and take the pressure off the ram , some of the semi truck trailers have a metal arm that locks into the frame and box crossmembers they are only a foot long .

and if its going to sit for a while we grease the rams surface up with cheap wheel grease , when you drop the ram it wipes it off and helps lube the top of the seal and helps wipe the dirt off easier

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.