Dump trailer to leaf box build 2.0

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Considering my leaf rig is used constantly late October through first part of February. So 4 full months of the year plus some. February still busy but slows down. $400 is worth it if it helps guide me (and more importantly my other driver into the parking space easier and quicker and make be avoid a backup accident it's well worth it in my opinion). NT has been good to me when a few things I bought were crap I took them right back no questions.

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Picked up the trailer from the spring shop on Friday in the rain (new leaf springs, hangers plus a new bulldog-like coupler).

Rain finally stopped for a while today and I added side LED tail/stop/turn to add some safety. The OEM lights are so low and hard to see. Had to replace the bulbs to n those as well.

Decided I think I am going to build the loader platform myself with my stick welder. One of my friends who does a heck of a lot more welding than I will ever do said he would help me with it. Probably a project for week after next. Already have booked a leaf job for week of Thanksgiving and week of Christmas. I'm sure more will start rolling in now.

KIMG1442.JPG

KIMG1438.JPG

KIMG1439.JPG

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Ok all you welders go easy on me now. First time to use my stick welder. A lot different from my little mig. But got the platform pretty much done. My friend that is a welder is going to drop by tomorrow to check it out and touch up some things for me. My welds look like crap I know but they are strong. You will see the one pic where I learned how easily you can burn through material when you are fogging up and can't see what you are welding. Hope my friend can do a fill in weld or something. It's still strong though. Well here it is. I used 1/8" 7018 rods. Enjoy my learning experience below.

KIMG1458.JPG
KIMG1459.JPG
KIMG1462.JPG
KIMG1466.JPG
KIMG1464.JPG

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Welder friend told me to go buy 3/32 of 6013 rods. Much much easier. But he redid every weld that was on there and taught me a few things. One of my much much "better" beads.

Attachments

• KIMG1468.JPG
    KIMG1468.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 6
OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
And he also fixed my burn throughs I figured he would know how to do that. But my first welding experience has been a fun learning experience. Now I've got a stick welder good enough to fix anything that I am able to fix.

Top Forums