1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Truck For Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LTDLawnCare, Feb 6, 2007.

1. LTDLawnCare

LTDLawnCare LawnSite Member

I am currently looking to buy a dump truck for my growing Lawn Care Business. My partner seems to think that it is not neccessary. I think that it will help open doors for the company and create new opportunity with Mulching, Spring and Fall Clean-ups. I would like to know what you guys think. I am just looking for advice on how to sell him on the idea of a dump truck or if you guys could come up with enough reason not to get one. I will be looking at a used dump for under $5k

Ryan

2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

under 5k? WHERE AT? :)

i just bought an 06 f350 diesel, i too was thinking back and forth about a dump f450 or something, but then too many drawbacks for my business now. I wouldnt need it "that" often to warranty the cost and drawbacks.

just a dump body was another 8k+ over the ford frame of 38k :/

3. LTDLawnCare

I found an 84' F350 for $2500. I would be using it locally, just for the business.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

To the original poster,

How many accounts are you currently servicing? What is the breakdown as far as residential/commercial?

IMHO, if you are just doing residential lawn care with only a few commercials, you dont need a dump truck. If you are doing a large amount of landscaping or mulching or new installs, then it may be nessecary. I would consider a dump truck if your doing over 35% of your sales in new lawn constructions/sod or mulching and such.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you want something that old? Are you mechaincally inclined so if and when it dies or has a problem, can you fix it?

Spend wisely, you'll get what you pay for. I would not be using a truck that old because I am looking at maintaining a professional appeal to my customers.
    Not to say an old truck isn't appealing but oil leaks and problems suck. Nothing worse than being at a job all ay and when you leave, their is a huge oil spot from where your truck was parked all day! I'm not sure if that's the image I would want to be putting out.

6. LTDLawnCare

50% of my business is commercial and about 20 % of all business is clean-ups. In New England there are a ton of leaves to pick up in the fall. I wanted to buy the dumptruck and a vac so that we could service all of our clients and many more with the fall clean-up. Right now we are putting the leaves in a 5'x6' trailer and hauling them to a nearby compost depot. Taking lots of extra time and costing big $$$

7. LTDLawnCare

I am somewhat mechanically inclined and it is a 84' diesel with 150k on the original motor with one owner

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

You can find a good dump for 10-15k. I would not buy a cheapo... I would wait to buy a good one. I couldn't live w/o my dump. I would get a flatbed dump so it will still be able to haul a few pallets of sod, plant material, etc. I would also try to get a 12 footer.

9. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

LTD, check your private messages.

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Having a dump in lawn care is a great time and labor saver. I've got a dump insert in my Chevy 2500HD. I figure it saves me $20 every time I push the button. I used it 74 times in 2006, so it saved me over $1400.

There's no way I would mess around with a dump truck for under $5K. If you do, be prepared to dump money and time into it. An since time is money in this business, you are money ahead with a newer more reliable truck.

IMO a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup with a dump insert is just as good or better than a 1 ton dually with a flat deck or stake side dump. The dually flat deck can hold more volume, but a 1 ton dually dump will weigh 7500-9000 lbs. empty. With a GVWR of 10-12K depending on the make and year, that gives you a 2500-3000 lb. payload, the same as my 2500HD pickup with dump insert.