1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Dump truck use's? CDL'S?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Wayne242, Jun 10, 2007.

  1. Wayne242

    Wayne242 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 27

    I have been thinking about running 1 or 2 dump trucks. They will just be used for yard clean ups, large clean ups, hauling rocks etc. I just wonted to know if there is good money to be made just by doing what i have listed above or should i put more use to them?

    What other use's could i use a dump truck to make money?

    Really just wont to run 1 as i don't wont to hire any one just yet.

    Manly just looking for ways to pay the trucks off faster i guess.

    Also what type of dump trucks req cdl's?


    JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,164

    Anything not pulling a trailer rated 26000 lbs GVWR or more must have a class B CDL.
  3. Fieldman12

    Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,504

    My family had a dump truck hauling business for several years. I think the pay is much better if you can get the jobs yourself. We where hooked to a gravel company and also got our own jobs. It all depends on your area what the pay is. Things you must watch though is what your hauling. Probably allot of the jobs you will get are big rock jobs or slabs of concrete that most will not want to haul in there own dump trucks because of damage. Not saying you wont get other jobs but be prepared. Also plan on them sending you places not fit for a dump truck. They will say I just drove my pickup across it and the ground was solid.You will have to explain to them what the weight of the dump truck is versus a pickup. There is allot of people out there in this field. I myself if was going to do this buy an older machine and work yourself up. To me there is much easier ways to make money and more of it. Dump trucks cost a good bit for even an old decent one. I would ask allot of questions before you take the jobs and even look at them first if you had any doubt.
  4. Fieldman12

    Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,504

    You will need a minimum of a class B CDL for a small dump truck (single axle) and air brake endorsements if it has them. As jdskidsteer said anything over 26,000 lbs. gvwr or a combination truck and trailer must have a Class A cdl.
  5. Wayne242

    Wayne242 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 27

    Ya i don't plan on over working my rig for cheap jobs. Also wont take it any where i would not take my 4x4 pick up. What I'm starting out with is a 1988 International, dt 466 cummins with a six speed trans. Only payed $2500, and the second one I'm thinking about buying is a 1986 GMC 70 seris dump truck with 454 manual trans 2spd rear end for a back up truck. I can get it for $700, just needs some tlc.

    The 1988 International, dt 466 cummins with a six speed trans is below cdl requirements in KY right? I plan i getting my cdl's any way, and what one's would be the best for what i plan on doing? I wont being running any dumps bigger then the 2 above. I'm not sure if i will pull a trailer or not just yet. I don't plan on pull the loader with it.
  6. Fieldman12

    Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,504

    I read what I wrote and found out I did not tell ya correct. Anything 26,000 or over that is just the truck needs a Class B CDL and airbrake endorsements if it has them. If it is a combination truck and trailer or a truck with a trailer over 10,000 lbs then you need a class A. Kinda hard to explain. Hope this helps below.

    CLASS A - This classification applies only to "combination" vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) exceeding 26,000 pounds, provided the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed exceeds 10,000 pounds. The holder of a Class A license, which includes any appropriate endorsements, may operate all vehicles included in Class B, C, and D (Operator License).

    CLASS B - This class includes single or combination vehicles where the GVWR of the single vehicle exceeds 26,000 pounds. The vehicle in tow must not exceed 10,000 pounds. Class B licensees, with appropriate endorsements, may drive all vehicles in Class C or D.

    CLASS C - Vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, and vehicles placarded for hazardous materials, that do not meet the criteria for Class A or B above fall under this classification and may drive all vehicles in Class D.
  7. Fieldman12

    Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,504

    I think you mean the DT 466 is an International motor. That is the same truck and year dad started out with. That would be my choice of truck. I have drove both and like the Interenational truck better. The Fords are good trucks also. Im not sure of Kentucky law but I would guess you would need a CDL. We needed it for ours here in Ohio. As for taking it where you take your 4x4 dont do that. They will sink quick and it will cost you more to have it pulled out than what the job will most likely pay.
  8. Wayne242

    Wayne242 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 27

    Think you miss read the 4x4 part. I posted i wont take it any where that i would not take my 4x4. I know i drive a 22000 GVWR tree serivce bucket truck, and thats just the truck alone. I'm not sure what the GVWR is after loading the back. I know i never needed a cdl for it, but its no big deal i plan i getting them any way. Any heads up i should know befor taking the test?
  9. Fieldman12

    Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,504

    Be good at the pre-trip inspection. Be good at the parallel parking. I would personally take the test at a private place but that is my opinion.
  10. ksss

    ksss LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,151

    Good catch fieldman I was going to correct your trailer weight but you found it. You might as well just get the Class A and be done with it. IF you find yourself wanting or needing to pull a pup or some other type of tractor trailer you will need it anyways. There are a lot of rules to follow when running trucks small examples you have to put yourself in a drug testing consortium (making yourself available for random drug tests), if your trucks are licensed over 54K you will need to fill out Heavy Use tax forms and pay an additional 550 dollars a year to the IRS , it goes on and on. Get online and research US DOT and National Highway Safety Administration site. You will get an idea of what you need to do. It is certainly more involved that buying a truck.

Share This Page