Dump Truck vs. Dump Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mike's Mowing & Yard Care, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Mike's Mowing & Yard Care

Mike's Mowing & Yard Care LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, first time on here. I have a small lawn care company in Maine. 50-60 clients that I mow and typically 30 or so fall/spring clean-ups. An occasional mulch job or product delivery. I currently have three trucks I use, one of them being a one ton dump that I use to suck/blow leaves into and dump. The truck is in need of repair and since I don't like a few things about it I am debating buying another one ton dump or switching to a dump trailer. I will be buying used either way.

My question: benefits or negatives of using a dump truck vs. a dump trailer?

Thank you for your feedback.

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

We switched to a dump trailer a few years ago. Didn't make sense to have a truck when we only needed a dump a few times a year, like you said in the Spring for cleanups/mulch and on a few landscaping projects and then for leaves in the fall.

I like being able to put a skid/mower in the back if I need to, the real big con about the trailer is the low dump height. The trailer tends to drag and the piles are twice as long as with a truck but this is a small thing that we can look past.

3. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Another thing is capacity, the trailer can legally haul more than twice the payload of the 450 it replaced.

4. OP
    OP
    Mike's Mowing & Yard Care

Mike's Mowing & Yard Care LawnSite Member

True. I hadn't given the capacity thing a whole lot of thought when comparing the two although I was in regards to what trailer size to buy. What size trailer do you use? I am a bit frustrated that the 6' wide trailers are actually 6' or slightly smaller instead of slightly larger. I have a Wright ZK with a 6' deck and I would like my trailer to be capable of carrying it if I need to.

5. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Pretty sure it's a 14' PJ, I can check when I go to the shop tomorrow. As for fitting a 72 in the trailer I don't think it would fit in ours either, we usually run 48" walkers on cleanups so it's never been in issue.

Works slick being able to back the mower up a ramp and into the trailer instead of dumping them in piles and then sucking them up.

6. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I like my one ton dump truck a lot. I use it several times a week. And if I didn’t have the one ton my other vehicle is a half ton so I wouldn’t have anything to pull a dump trailer. I deliver firewood in the winter and most of the places I deliver to aren’t trailer accessible. Another advantage to the truck is it’s tall enough to rake mulch or gravel off the tailgate into a wheel barrel. The height is a disadvantage when loading by hand which isn’t very often. Aren’t the F-450 trucks GVWD at like 18000 now. The 90s ones are at 15000 which makes the payload more than half a 14000 pound trailer as claimed.

7. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

GVWR of our 450 was 14,500 and it tared out at 9600

payload of around 5k

trailer GVWR of 15k and tare around 4k

550's are at 19.5

Problem with that high of a GVW rating is depending on the trailer it can put you in CDL range which I'm not interested in.

8. Mowing monkey.

I thought hauling lawn debris was the intended use? Does payload really matter? The 1 and 1.5 tons will haul more than 5,000 btw. I recently added a kodiak to my fleet. The one tons are really lacking for moving gravel or dirt. I scaled a 5 yard of mulch on my 1 ton truck at 9300 pounds or about 2200 for the mulch so there’s plenty of capacity for doing that. I have a 3500 HD that needs some work that I haven’t completed but it’s considerably heavier duty than my 3500. Those are what I’d recommend for a 1 ton dump truck.

9. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

That mulch must have been really dry to only weigh 440lbs per CY.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  10. Mowing monkey.

Not really. It was of at least average moisture content. It was a cedar chip dyed mulch. Next time I get to haul one I’ll weigh a load of reqular bark mulch.