Dump Truck vs. Dump Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mike's Mowing & Yard Care, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

Cost of maintenance on a dump trailer is much less , as far as insurance and repairs .

jrs.landscaping likes this.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Oh dear...the dreaded math thing...

3. Mark Oomkes

Buy a trailer wide enough to haul mowers and you have a dual purpose trailer. You'll never haul mowers on a dump truck.

Trucks can get into tighter areas and pull a trailer.

They both have their pro's and cons. Just have to pencil it out and determine what is best for you. Just make sure either one can be used as much as possible so you get your money's worth out of it.

Doc8406 and jrs.landscaping like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Mike's Mowing & Yard Care

Mike's Mowing & Yard Care LawnSite Member

Deck over vs. low profile?

5. Mark Oomkes

I should say, I had a couple dump trucks for a year or two and no dump trailer...I missed having a dump trailer at least once a week that entire season, maybe 2 seasons.

6. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

If I had a dump trailer I’d probably use it for something but they’re $$. And to gain more capacity than the dump trucks you’d need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Around here those are bringing considerably more then a half ton in comparable condition. The dump trailers might move mowers in a pinch but the ramps are heavy and tying down equipment is a PITA in them. I’d never consider them a permanent solution for equipment moving.

7. Mark Oomkes

Right, because they are capable of a multitude of things.

To pull it? Yes, but half tons aren't really work trucks anyways.

I would hope so, they are built using heavier duty components. They are more capable so they are worth more, both initially and for resale.
    My dump trailer ramps will hold an 8,000 skidsteer but are as light to lift as any of my other trailer ramps. It's all about how they are designed and built.

Tying equipment down is as easy as any other trailer if it's designed and built properly.

Great, to each his own.

StripeLife likes this.
  8. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

Just to clarify cuz ive been wondering what im going to do this fall (first year doing clean ups). So you mow/vac the leafs with the walker back up onto the trailer and then dump the leafs in the front? Have you noticed any difficulty with weight distribution having the mower mid to back of trailer? ive been thinking of doing this same thing.

9. Mark Oomkes

We did the same with our Walker, Navigator, Exmark UltraVac and sometimes our Deere with a bagger. But we did buy a leaf vac so we don't use the dump trailer as much anymore for cleanups.

Never had a problem with weight distribution as dump trailers tend to be a bit heavier to begin with, add the debris up front and no issues,

10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Like Mark said never had a problem, I like the open trailer as opposed to the Vac setup we used to run. We can throw all the branches in the load as well as the leaves from the mower. We've changed our thought process a lot in the last few years switching to a mulch first, bag second mentality.

So for example we had one property where we would have around 40 CY's of leaf debris. Mulching that property we cut it down to under 6 CY's making the vac kind of redundant. Why dump the shredded debris from the hopper on the ground to suck it up when you could just back into the trailer and dump the hopper?