1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Dump Truck vs. Dump Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mike's Mowing & Yard Care, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

looking to do this as my setup this fall with a leaf vac on the mower and putting everything in my enclosed and getting the leafs out can be a pain.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  2. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

So let me clarify that! lol are you saying your mulching the leafs and side discharging them then going over them with the bagger/walker or do you mean just in general going over them with the mower/bagger and dumping them in the trailer. Just trying to figure out the best way to do leaf cleanups in the future is as far as maximizing the space i will have in the trailer. I have a JD 652r im hooking up to a maxfill2 from red magic performance and planning on getting a dump as well for my process vs going the blow it to the street and suck it up with the billy goat way. thoughts?

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Yes, we mulch the leaves from the time they start dropping until it's time to clean up. On some properties we'll just go over the leaves until they are "chopped up" and then vac them with the Walkers. For us it just saves the hassle of plows and vacs and the sheer volume of leaves in general.

If they're mulched they are more dense and don't have the volume filling your truck/trailer. It saves a ton on trips to the dump site because the leaves are more compact.

Should also mention these are on commercial/municipal properties so whatever leaf debris is left on the ground is okay to compost back into the ground, some homeowners aren't really keen on seeing any material left in their lawn.

4. jdmccay

jdmccay LawnSite Member

I think the trailer is more versatile. Make sure to pay attention to how the battery is charged. Id recommend getting one set up to charge through the plug on your truck AND a solar panel. Nothing worse than getting to the job and realizing that you can't dump because your battery is dead.