Dump truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by treemover, Dec 22, 2017.

1. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone running airride on a tandem or Tri axle dump? We have 4 springs and t-rides now, looking for a lightweight truck. We haul from pits, back over curb and dump. Not much off roading. Are Mack air rides better?

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

air ride trucks are great as long as you trust the driver to remember to dump the bags before dumping. I've heard some stories but never seen it happen personally.

3. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Senior Member

Air ride trucks feel like a boat when they are loaded. I'm sure you'll get used to it but I never could. Every corner felt like you were going to end up on your side.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I don’t like an air ride truck because of how it rides loaded..

I don’t know about your drivers but some the ones I’ve hired can’t remember to close the latches on the tailgate. Much less dump the bags..

RDALawns and zraffz like this.
  5. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

I'm a fan of air ride suspension. I ran 2 KW T800's with KW 8 bag. Never had an issue with either truck. It can be a bit spooky in very off level ground and off camber turns. When I begin to raise the box, I flip the dump valve on the air bags, when the box is empty, I just flip the switch back to normal. I haven't had air ride for about 4 years now, and I miss it. I believe air ride is not only easier on the driver, but also the cab and interior of the truck. Even just an air ride cab is a big help. The company I am with is putting a 2014 KW T800 together for this coming spring. Air ride cab and 4 bag Hendrickson suspension. I took it for a ride empty and LOVED the feel. It may take a bit to get used to again though. :)

6. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a Peterbilt 378 single axle on air with a 13 speed and 400 big cam Cummins. Rocket ship but scary loaded. If you raised the body all the way up without bleeding out the bags, I could push on the side of the truck from the top of the tailgate and bounce the truck from side to side very violently.

7. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

The thing I don’t understand is, what the difference between tractor trailer and dumpster. Tractor and end dump are full air rides, and u never really hear of complaints on squishy rides.

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Axle weights is the biggest. Most over the Rd trucks don't have much more than 34k on the drives. Dumps.....fill the box to the top. Oftentimes this will be 50k plus when the tags are raised. The driver knows he doesn't have to cross a scale will go with the post office mentality of "if it fits it ships".

9. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

That's more an issue with specing axle/suspension than a problem with airide. super 40's and air ride on a quad isn't gonna go well.

10. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

I hate to have to ask.... but what do you mean? 40,000 rears and air ride?