Dura max battery problems.

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
Truck has gone dead a few times over the last few weeks. Batteries are 3 years old.

Went to the battery dealer that sold me the batteries and they checked them out. It was dead this morning and one was at 10 volts and the other at 8 volts. We hooked them back up and he checked the alternator and said it was good.

He suggested for me to go home and disconnect the weaker batter and pit it on the charger.. I will slow charge it at 2 Amos over night. He said give it a few days and if it continues io may have a short somewhere.

I parked the truck after a days work for about an hour and then got around to hooking the charger to the weaker battery. I noticed it was sizzling a little.

What do you guys think? I seem to be on the right track in diagnosing the problem and if the batteries are good he has saved me aome money since a short would drain the new ones as well.

Guess we will see what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device

JNB Construction

LawnSite Senior Member
Whiffy has it right...have them load tested.

Texas heat is really hard on batteries. Interstate batteries in my 7.3 F350 wouldn't last over 30 months...most of them less than two years. The dealer would prorate them, but I got tired of having problems. I heard good things about O'Reilly's Super Start brand on one of the diesel forums. I put a pair of their batteries in (I think they are called "Extreme" now) and no more problems. I have the same batteries in my Dodge Cummins.

OP
G

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
What do you mean sizzling? Like out of the vent?
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess there are two vents on top. I've just never noticed it before but hadn't really looked. The low battery was doing it but the other wasn't.

I tried to charge it last night but we had a downpour so I had to unhook it all.....should have taken the battery out instead of disconnecting.

I also found that I had a leak from the sunroof and it got some water in the interior and in my trailer brake box. The box had some water on it and I wonder if that is the cause of the short?? I unplugged the brake box to see.

whiffyspark

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't charge batteries individually. Just leave them hooked up.

A short doesn't you drain batteries but a draw does.

even if you do have a draw, it sounds like your batteries are shot anyway. So go have them both load tested. And do not replace just one you want them to match
Posted via Mobile Device

dieselss

LawnSite Silver Member
Usually batts below 10v are gunna end up being bad. Usually. I have found a good cold snap will take the remaining life right outta them. But in your case the constant heat will do the same thing
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Forums