DW2 files

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Tony Honea, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Tony Honea

Tony Honea LawnSite Member
    from MS

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to the forum and am looking for some help. I started using Rain Cad in the mid '90s , upgraded to Version 6 on 12-03-98. Everything was great until October last year when my office burned to the ground,, I lost the CD that was required for the software to run. I have asked Software Republic for help but they say no luck. I subscribed to the new software from them but it will not recognize the old file ext. What I am hoping to find is someone that can open the files that I found on an old computer that was not onsite for the fire. If nothing else just print me a copy of my as-built drawings. Or let me borrow a CD for a few days. Thanks

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry to hear about your fire, wish I could help. Nice bronco, all them around here rotted away between the salt air and road salt. Good luck on your quest.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Tony Honea

from MS

Thanks,, this one is U13 military. In pretty good shape, I need to hit the lotto to do the restoration

4. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Auto cad?

5. OP
    OP
    Tony Honea

from MS

Yes Sir,, I think the Rain Cad was built on Auto Cad. I am pretty ignorant all things computer.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

One way to gain new life from old files is to use a computer with a Linux operating system. There are CAD programs for Linux that will handle the obsolete file types and let you see your old drawings again, and put them to work. Computer ignorance might bar you from easily doing this yourself, but for some thousands of dollars in savings over time, you might want to take the plunge and give Linux a try. Besides old file types, old hardware gains new life on Linux, with printers and scanners being supported long after Windows has ceased to support them.

And, short of another computer (you could manage this on a cheapo computer from a Craigslist ad) there are some online file viewers. There are also some file converter downloads.

Even though RainCad is a fiercely protected program, the file types it creates are usable by other CAD software, and a lot of that software is free for Linux users.

hort101 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Tony Honea

from MS

Thank you very much,, I have a friend that uses Linux, I will take a few files by and see what he can do first then I can put Linux on another computer here,, thanks again

hort101 likes this.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I am a user of Ubuntu Linux for about a decade, and can manage most of what Windows can accomplish. One of the best examples of a free Linux version of expensive software is the image-editing program GIMP (acronym for Gnu Image Manipulation Program) which emulates Photoshop.

You can download Ubuntu Linux and burn it onto a DVD or transfer it to a USB drive, and boot a computer to the Ubuntu OS. That lets you "test drive" it without actually having to install it on a computer. These "Live Disk" install media also can function as a rescue device for a Windows computer, since Ubuntu can "look into" the Windows program and data files, and allow a repair job.

Sprinkus likes this.
  9. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

I just tested out LandFX built off AutoCad. It's specific for Irrigation. I Got a 30 day trail from this years Irrigation Convention.

It was very cool. However my experience with Cad is Limited .

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

When I 1st saw this thread I thought it was started by Leary. DW aka dickwad. Where is he lately, I guess he had to go back to rehab