Dwarf mondo grass

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by ltdlawn, Mar 18, 2017.

1. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that wants a border on the front of her beds and paver patio. Wanted something like monkey grass yet short enough to step over at the paver patio. She is having a bit of issue with water runoff and was thinking this would also help diverting some of the water from the patio. Does this sound like a good idea? After some research on borders and low growing I came up with dwarf mondo grass which grows to be about 4". Area is partial sun/shade. 30 ft total.
    Any suggestions on saving on bulk purchasing as well?

hort101 likes this.
  2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Get it at Cedar Row or Site 1 in 4" pots.

hort101 and ltdlawn like this.
  3. ltdlawn

I was thinking that. I don't work out that way any more, Thank heavens. but the saving may be worth the drive. Thanks sjessen good luck this season it's here

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Mondo can cook if its too hot. If you get bigger ones just split the, to fill in.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

If you're more downtown or south Stanley's nursery would carry that in small pots but I don't think I'd use it if it's bordering patio to turf.

hort101 likes this.
  6. ltdlawn

I'm north halls area guess I call a few nurseries around town.
    Currently it some kind of white pebble stones. I plan on pulling that forward and adding behind it.
    Wish I would of taken pictures. I'll be there Monday I'll try to remember too.

7. gettinafarmerstan

gettinafarmerstan LawnSite Senior Member

Go To Lowes! they have 9 or 12 packs for 9.99 appx. of mondo grass. Or you can go with a little taller growing liriope like big blue or variegated. Lowes also carries these two types at most of there stores. Also, lowes has a 12 month warranty replacement on there plants. I don't know anyone who can match it? Some may feel they are too good for buying plants at lowes but they have come a long way.

sjessen likes this.
  8. gettinafarmerstan

gettinafarmerstan LawnSite Senior Member

Also, I've used liriope as a border along paver patios and many other situations and have not had any failures with it.

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Isn't dwarf mondo an oxymoron?

Dwarf ... mondo.... get it?

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

there are several types. dwf mondo is like 2" tall