1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Early snow messing with leaves

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by sven1277, Nov 17, 2018.

1. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

Who else is frustrated with this early snow storm? We're usually full tilt into leaf season right now. We have about 250 cleanups to do and just barely got started when we had to take leaf boxes off and put plows on. Now we're sitting around waiting for this darn snow to melt so we can get back to work.

2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah I don't have nearly as much to finish as you as this is my first year back. But frustrating to say the least as I was just getting started on final clean ups as majority of leaves finally dropped

Tara Ann and hort101 like this.
  3. grasscutter845

grasscutter845 LawnSite Member

Hopefully next week this stuff will be melted and we will go full bore with clean ups and hopefully have them all done by Christmas.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

We are about 3/4 to almost completely done now, but the last few have been a real PITA having to dance around snow days etc. The rest I can't get this week will have to be done either in spring clean-ups or if we get the normal January thaw.

5. dfcam

dfcam LawnSite Member

I feel your pain, no good answer to why wasn't my house done before Thanksgiving, snow or not...Prob 250 to go also...and condos to boot..Good Luck!

6. FromUndaChz

FromUndaChz LawnSite Member
    Male, from Connecticut

Possible wintry mix Sunday night and early Monday - and again Tuesday morning, possible snow shower or squalls on Wed, freezing nights and Thanksgiving on Thursday. :mad: We made a few passes on all of ours so they could wait until spring, I'll take plowing over leaves any day!

flybynite likes this.
  7. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Member

We were only a week or so into our clean ups before the snow hit. Now we're in a holding pattern. Some clients are irritated but what can ya can do? I don't think we'll have enough time to finish everything we have booked.

Some people wanted us to wait on their gutters until more leaves fell. Now they likely won't be cleaned until spring. We warned them but no one really thought we would get this much snow. It's about 3 weeks early here.

Tara Ann, hort101 and Greencuts518 like this.
  8. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Senior Member

I cleaned house on the snow storm we got. Leaves can wait until the snow melts. If I have to, I'll blow the leaves into a pile and clean up that way if the ground is too soft. I'd rather use the mower/bagger to do it but either way, I'll be finishing all of them once the snow melts.

9. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

oaks, sweetgums, pears, and some maples all hangin' tough as usual.
    We'll soldier on with cleanups as weather allows-this week looks good so hope to put a good dent in things by Friday.

DSCF4497.JPG

Tara Ann, Wye Oak Tree and hort101 like this.
  10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Got two big ones done today after the snow stopped. It melted off as fast as it came down, so that was a break, but temps are still just a degree above freezing now.

Tara Ann, Mark Oomkes and hort101 like this.