Early snow messing with leaves

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by sven1277, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

don't remind me.
    did someone say "dog poop?"
    yeah, they did.

my son's staffie, or, yeah, pit.
    (but she's such a spoiled baby we call her a "French pit".) lol

DSCF4462 (2).JPG

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

We got like 6" here. No work of course but I was productive today at least. Got up all of the new Christmas decorations & lights that the wife bought for the new house....

Only problem is now thet wife says we NEED more....oh silly wife....

Groomer, hort101 and Ridin' Green like this.
  3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Snow will be melting tomorrow!
    Looks like 50s and 60s for the next 5-7 days!

and RAIN EVERY DAY.

Someone just kick me in the balls. o_O

4. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

It's been 2 weeks since the first snowstorm and it will all be melted by tomorrow. That gives me like 6 sunny, dry days to get some clean ups completed before the next forecasted snow accumulation. No chance of using wb as ground is saturated, so blower only

OakNut likes this.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Freezing or raining. Cant get much work done. Raining today until Tuesday next week. 72 Sunday:clapping:. I don't think I am making enough money to pay the bills:cry:

6. OakNut

Walmart is hiring smiling faces.
    :D

(my orientation started yesterday - haha)

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I told my wife last Wednesday we were done with cleanups for the year. Had a fairly nice Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving in which we didn't work, probably should have, but my guys need a day off too. We ended up with 4-6" of snow Monday morning.

Still hasn't melted. Snow Tues-Thurs. Snow\sleet\freezing rain\rain tomorrow. We'll see what next week brings but I'm not holding my breath. Only 1 customer that wanted a refund so far.

UpNorthMowing, Mark Stark and Charles like this.
  8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

I told my wife last night I will just keep picking away at leaf season until I finally have to say uncle and throw in the towel for 2018.

managed a few more today-solo.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  9. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Did it go pretty well for you or does it feel like it will be a long winter?

10. OakNut

The overall impression was favorable. We only took care of some documents and watched videos about working there and basic stuff like a tour of the store followed by a second tour with the "safety" people.
    The rest of this week will be mostly sitting in a room doing training on a computer before actually doing work you were hired for the following week.

Honestly, I think any job is what you make of it. Do I think it will be fun to continually restock shelves with Gatorade, tampons, toothpaste, and lunch meat? Not particularly, but I think I'm customer service oriented enough that interacting with shoppers will make it less monotonous - it's why I chose stocking shelves out on the floor rather than "back room" stocking.

The store I was hired at is also involved in some interesting "new ideas" that are being implemented - like "automated sorting" where the things offloaded from the truck get sorted out and ready for distribution much more efficiently, taking 8 people the same time that 3 times as many used to be needed. A robotic floor cleaner and some other things that I can't recall were discussed. We are one of only 10 stores in the world where some of these things are being rolled out.

Should be interesting.

Mark Stark likes this.