Early snow messing with leaves

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by sven1277, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Too visible. Many of my customers would see me. Might think I quit. Might think business is bad. Might wonder why they paying big money when I will work for a lot less. I would be really paranoid about all that
    I am not lifting big screen tvs:laugh:

KerbDMK likes this.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

An inch of rain possible within the next 18 hours.

Less than an inch of snow Sunday night\Monday morning.

Ugh...was really hoping the rain would melt the snow and we'd be able to get some cleanups in.

Mark Stark likes this.
  3. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mark you've been in the business a long time right? Does this entire season (late spring, early winter, etc.) seem worse than typical years or do you just think it's "one of those things"?

Greencuts518 likes this.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Too long. Started with my dad when I was 8. Full summers when I was 13.

I can't remember a year where we haven't been able to finish cleanups. We've done some between Christmas and New Year, but still, the majority were done. I would say we're about half done right now. Never plowed as late as we did in April either. May wasn't too bad until that last week and it went straight to the 90's.

So yeah, this is worse than I can remember. My dad started in '62 and he hasn't either. Not quite like this. Early springs, early winters, late springs, late winters...you name it. Not a really late winter and an early winter. And the leaves hung on forever.

Mark Stark likes this.
  5. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

This was my first season back since 2000 and it was a doozie full of weather delays. Plenty of rain and cold weather delayed the start up till mid April. By late June we were already skipping cuts because of moderate drought. August was the crab grass explosion and was forced to bag for a few weeks to keep up with the growth. September and October lawns were saturated from excessive rain and skipping cuts again. First snowfall of the year November 15th delaying fall clean ups till December by the time snow melted. Now some people want to hold off till spring and some have done their own clean ups as they couldn't wait. Thank God i got back into this as a side business as I work a couple angles to help pay my bills.

Mark Stark and Charles like this.