Early start slipping away!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Mar 18, 2018.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

A few weeks ago we were looking good for a mid march start! We now have a widespread 6-10 inches of snowcover & are locked into artic that's well below the norm for mid march! So much for an early start this season!

gcbailey and hort101 like this.
  2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Agree when it was in the 50s end of February and no snow here:dizzy:
    I thought it might be a March start
    Now it's looking like April which is normal

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

It sucks. Hopefully not like last year when we started mid-April.

hort101 likes this.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Snow everywhere. Late start. Not GOOD!

Tighten bolts. Adjust. Lube your equipment and all moving parts--whatever does not move--prime and paint it. Anti-rust enamel. Make sure your equipment looks sharp. Top-quality lettering on truck.
    Calibrate. And calibrate better, more accurately than your competitors. This becomes a sales point--a benefit.
    Maybe you can do some soil tests. Check for grubs. Dig under snow. Get a pH meter. Buy a kit; do some in-house soil tests on your desk. Also, take a photo of each customer's soil; keep it on file in your computer. Its helpful--and a good sales point. If you get grub pictures at your customer's house--so much the better. Your competitors don't do this.
    Can you do lime applications--I don't see how. Do your spreaders have skis? Chest spreaders are fine--but 50 pounds per thousand would take forever.
    Would customers even accept and pay for a lime application on top of snow?

Improve your website. Now is a good time to do some sales--or upsells. If you do not want to pace off through the snow, use an online aerial photo site. Hand passing flyers is fun in the snow.
    Now is a good time to do "cloverleaf sales". Hand pass brochures to the houses on each side and across the street from your present customers. Maybe it is even possible to do this through the mail.
    "You have probably noticed that your neighbor at xxx Street has thick green grass. We do his lawn treatments. And due to snow, we are having a sale this month. You can take advantage of this unique offer..."

kawasaki guy and hort101 like this.
  5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

This morning i have to go fuel up my loader as we have another substantial snowstorm arriving here Wednesday! BUMMER!!!!!!!!

EquityGreen likes this.
  6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

only 1-3 predicted up here. I'll get the trucks ready, but I am doubtful. Of course, I said that last time and we got 20".

7. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Senior Member

We finally broke free from Winter here but high winds have limited me to 2-3 days a week of spraying, and we switched to liquid pre-ems for ornamentals this year.

I'm behind and seeing weeds everywhere I go! :realmad:

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Both soil and air temps are about 33 F here. Windy. No snow. Slight frozen crust on soil at night.
    One of the most common weeds is hairy bittercress. Lots in my wife's garden. I have seen very tiny chickweed plants come up--about a quarter-inch tall so far.

Revise that--the afternoon temp will be about 45 to 50.
    I am sure most companies have started crabgrass control--myself, I have not seen any yet.

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  9. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

That rain and wind is being nasty this yr. where the heck is all this wind coming from?

That Guy Gary likes this.
  10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

For me...from Oklahoma. Those SOB's keep sending 15-20's my way about every other day. It's getting old. lol