Earth Anchor retaining wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by steve5966, Sep 20, 2007.

1. OP
    OP
    steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

There are a couple of problems with doing that. First, they have an external stairway, comes to within ten feet of the ties. Secondly, the soil used for backfill is the absolute worst I have ever seen. (4 to 10 blow count) I'm sure the engineers will come up with a miracle of a solution for me. I almost typed that with a straight face.

2. OP
    OP
    steve5966

After too many days of installing and removing anchors because they were not holding, I finally got the information I should have had from the start. We brought in a drill yesterday to take some soil samples and while we were doing this they gave me the original complex plans. It turns out this side of this building has twenty feet of fill. They had me trying to anchor in fill dirt, which done correctly should work, but not here. After a few core samples they could tell me exactly where the good soil was. Things are moving along now. The learning curve is a little painfull with this job. hattiesburg 042.jpg

hattiesburg 048.jpg

View attachment 90070

To the forum safety monitors, I know there are boards missing from the fence. I have armed security patrols keeping all people away from the fence. Plus I have that nice soft soil for them to land on.

hattiesburg 042.jpg

hattiesburg 048.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    steve5966

After six weeks on what should have been a four week project we are a couple of days from finishing the job. we've been working in the mud for the last week, but the wall should be finished tommarow.

Installing 3" pipe for the geogrid.
    hattiesburg 057.jpg

Four foot by three foot base beeing tamped in.
    hattiesburg 059.jpg

hattiesburg 061.jpg
    hattiesburg 070.jpg

hattiesburg 057.jpg

hattiesburg 061.jpg

hattiesburg 070.jpg

hattiesburg 059.jpg

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

All I can say is I'm impressed. Thats a very interesting if also hair raising project. Engineers well, HMMMMMM whats to say??? I'm curiuos though, in a round number whats something like that cost???

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I was real worried until i saw the last pic! Now i am alittle weary about doing those anchors, buttt if the engineers say its ok, i'd listen to them.

Looks good. You proably could devlope a real niche doing projects like that.

6. OP
    OP
    steve5966

I'm surprised you guys in the east haven't seen these before. The engineer on this project says he does a lot of designs in the northeast.
    With the add-ons and change orders this will be in the neighborhood of 150g.
    It's not worth that much, but nobody else was willing to do it.

7. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Was there any discussion about holding off on building the outer block wall to make sure the earth anchors would hold as expected? Just curious.

8. OP
    OP
    steve5966

Jimmy, the number on the bottom of the steel plates is the thousands of pounds that that particular anchor will hold. I surpassed what the engineers wanted on more than half the anchors. If the engineers are comfortable with it, then I'm a happy guy.

We are grading above and below the wall today and installing caps.

9. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

How do you determine what each plate will hold. I assume the variable numbers are based on the particular soil that the end of the rods are anchored into? The engineers are fairly confident that there won't be any more settling or blowout (whos responsible for any failure in the new wall?)

I'm not critisizing by the way, just curious, as I am not versed in the engineering trade.

10. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member
    Male, from Plymouth, MA

Just curious, but what is the difference between doing all that work, and just building the SRW wall in front of it and using geogrid like your supposed to anyway without all the anchors. It's essentially the same thing as just building a retaining wall, backfilling and using geogrid all the way up. It looks from the pictures like you are far enough in front of the other wall any way. just backfill infront of it. The new soil/stone and retaining wall should hold back the old wall. Right??