Earth Anchor retaining wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by steve5966, Sep 20, 2007.

1. OP
    OP
    steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Egans, the existing wall was failing and without the anchors it would have taken out the new wall.

Jimmy, the anchors are set using a hydraulic load locker. I attached to the rod and pull on it till it won't move anymore. If you google manta-ray earth anchor it will give you all the technical stuff.

If there is a failure it will be round and round on who's fault it is. I'm confident that i did my part right.

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

They use them here as well.
    Had a 20 tall foot concrete wall heaving out and the core drilled and supported the wall in similar fashion.They have been in place at least 10 years.

They work well in any situation that normal deadman procedures do not apply.

3. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

Steve5966,

If I remember right you said you were going to connect the Geo-grid to the earth-anchor. Do you have any pictures of how that was done? I would love to see them. Thanks for posting all this information - I may go back and bid on a wall using this system that no one else has wanted to touch for the very same reasons as why you used it here.

4. OP
    OP
    steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

I didn't get any pictures of the geo-grid, but it just runs from the wall, around the pipe and back to the wall two rows higher. Since the anchors were spaced at six feet we used six foot rolls of grid to fit between them.
    If you hae any other questions, I'm happy to share what I learned on this project.

5. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds pretty simple, well the grid part anyway

6. I have been reading this thread with interest, we often use earth anchors on our walls, then attach our timbergrid walls by a simple fixing to them.
    Of course the whole slope has to be stabilised first, and I am not sure that is the case here.
    There is an excellent company called phigroup in the UK who has a huge amount of experience of these walls.