• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Earth Ships - Sustainable Housing

atouchofnature

LawnSite Member
Great video. I would have never dreamed something like that was possible.

There was a link to another video on that page showing some of the workings of building a home for Dennis Weaver using the same ideas. I watched part of it, and plan to watch the rest before bed tonight.

Thanks for posting.

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
Pretty Darn Cool - However you would have to assume cost is not a issue? Yes I know you would regain the initial cost many times over after the initial investment but have to think that the upfront cost would be crazy.

OP
B

Barefoot James

LawnSite Senior Member
Cost depends on how much you are doing. Like the tire idea for walls would be allot less expensive than framing/insulation. You would still have to put stucco or brick our outside covering and drywall inside but tires and dirt are free! I hear you can contact these folks and they will send you price models ect. Even if you spend 25% to 50% more in construction you could save or break even each year on utility saving each year and then once the loan is paid you saving money cause you still realize the utility savings.
I pay about $4000 a year on my electric, gas, water and sewer each year - thats $333 a month - my house payment is $1100 a month - If I could have afforded a $1400 payment back when I bought this house 10 years ago and been off the grid too - I would have a half million dollar home today and minimal utility payments - with a $1400 payment a month for about 15 more years. But now I have a $250,000 house and $333 a month in utilities and 15 more years of payments on the house and utility payments that go up every year for the rest of my life. So..... I think this is a great way to start thinking and to encourage our youth and our own kids to look at this as better option for thier own finances, the earth and to be a better example (role model) to more sustainable methods.
I met a young man yesterday who just bought 5 acres in the country. An old barn that the prior owners had converted into a crude farm house. He as talking about how much it was going to cost to insulated the walls and that the basic structure was not that sound but it had a good roof structure. I told him about this site and why not just build tire walls outside the walls he had fill with dirts, conrete the outside of it and then put on the aluminum sideing he already had ready for the house in his barn that came with the house. He thought is was a great idea cause several miles down the road is a tire dump that will GIVE you all the tires you want for free. :cool2:
JAT

ICT Bill

LawnSite Platinum Member
Tires have a very bad reputation for leaving the area that they are, they used to bury them in landfills but they would work their way to the surface

They tried to make a fake reef out of them in florida, dumb sheets, tied them together with steel chain, idiots! need less to say there were tires all over the beach in a few years

The freeze thaw warm to hot moves them, they don't stay in one place very long

just playing devils advocate but tires and dirt are not free, you have to haul them from one place to another, load and unload, stack them, I'm all for the idea but don't kid yourself that it is free, that is A LOT of labor costs

starry night

LawnSite Platinum Member
.............. tires and dirt are not free, you have to haul them from one place to another, load and unload, stack them, I'm all for the idea but don't kid yourself that it is free, that is A LOT of labor costs
:nono: Not sustainable. Not sustainable. :laugh: