Earthworms Killing Warm Season Turf? North Carolina

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Michael Ray, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first full year back in NC. I live in the coastal region of NC and we have very sandy soil. This year I'm noticing large patches in parts of my turf where I have hundreds of quarter sized mounds with no apparent center hole. From what I have researched I think they are earthworm castings. Normally I would think this is great but it appears that the centipede is also receding in these areas and I'm left with sandy/nearly bald patches in my yard. Any advice? Am I diagnosing wrong? Will the turf bounce right back because of all the "good" activity?

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Burnie and hort101 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Michael Ray

A couple of things.... the mounds have no holes whatsoever and are pelletized, also brushing aside the mound reveals no hole. I just soaked a small area with 3 gal of soapy water and no crickets rose to the top.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. RussellB

upload_2019-2-10_9-27-38.jpeg Does it look like this? Earthworms are not doing the damage. 99% sure you have mole crickets.

5. OP
    OP
    Michael Ray

Not really but only because our soil is so sandy. It's small sandy pelletized mounds with no hole. I'm like 10 mins from the beach.

6. RussellB

I am minutes from the beach as well and have the same soil. Mole crickets.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Michael Ray

Gotcha, any local tips on treating them?

8. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

hort101 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Michael Ray

Tell that to all the fishing worms I find. :)

10. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

I will the next time I see them.:) Are these fishing worms found in sunny areas of your lawn or shady? You should find more in the shady moist soils than in the sunny drier soils if the bald areas of your lawn are sunny, your offending burrowers are less likely to be earthworms.