Earthworms Killing Warm Season Turf? North Carolina

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Michael Ray, Feb 10, 2019.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

tons of earthworms in the sandy soil here. they don't cause the problem you are talking about though.

hort101 likes this.
  2. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course, you could just stick a shovel in it and see what's living there.

Wes Parker, phasthound and hort101 like this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A heavy night rain will force the worms to the surface to avoid drowning. You should see them crawling across the concrete. Likewise a heavy soaking with irrigation.
    Not sure, but adding a detergent might speed up this effect. Wetting agent or surfactant--about the same.
    Night crawlers are easy to spot with a flashlight at night--particularly on patches of bare soil.

hort101 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. I'll take a look, digging makes the most sense, being that it's my yard and the spots are pretty bare. Anybody have any tips on getting rid of mole crickets just in case?

5. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Fanatic
    from nc

Soap drench would be a good idea to see. Anything in the soil would come to surface. ID it and treat

6. OP
    OP
    Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I tried with 3 gal of soapy water in the same spot and saw nothing rise to the top.

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I'm not saying it's mole crickets but here's something you might want to look at.

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/mole-cricket-management-in-turfgrass/

RaleighTurf and hort101 like this.
  8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

If you post a pic we may be able to help more. If it is mole crickets they are tough to treat as adults. Cross check works well when applied at the correct times.

hort101 likes this.
  9. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

RusselB - You will appreciate this story. In the early 2000s i worked at a golf course right outside of Savannah GA. We had a lot of mole crickets.

One evening in late summer, when the moon was full. (more insect activity) I sprayed Orthene on a entire greens complex. The next morning i had the best cricket kill i have ever had. Those things were everywhere and thick too.

There were so many that they were crunching underfoot. I had to get a backpack blower to clean off the green and a grain scoop shovel for the piles of dead insects.

10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

wow sounds like the cicadas or gypsy moths:dizzy:

RussellB likes this.