Earthworms Killing Warm Season Turf? North Carolina

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Michael Ray, Feb 10, 2019.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I wish i could treat Cicadas like that. In the south they don't just show up when there's a brood hatch every seven years, they are around every year (because of the lack of cold weather). Its just worse when one of the big broods is around. The noise they make absolutely blows.

hort101 likes this.
  2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Southern insects are different and plentiful. I love to watch new comers from the north when they see their first Palmetto bug.

3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I wish we could get a kill like that on the gypsy moth caterpillers have to hope for the bacteria to wipe em out

Cicadas have a few each year but theres a surplus every 17years the cicadas here seem to aim for your car in certain areas splat:hammerhead:

RussellB likes this.
  4. agrostis

Something in the back of my mind was telling me i had the wrong timing for cicada brood hatch. i thought it might be 12 years. I knew it was a lot. I was sorta close - 7 vs. 17 :confused:

hort101 and RussellB like this.
  5. agrostis

Palmetto bugs are awesome, they can get huge. I like hearing the screams when they fly at someone.

hort101 and RussellB like this.
  6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

We rarely get one in the house but one night I was sound asleep and a monster Palmetto bug flew into my face. Just about crapped myself swatting it. Made a thud when it hit the wall. LOL

Burnie and hort101 like this.
  7. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

So I found a good spot after last nights rain that had a few fresh mounds. I dug about eight inches deep and about 10 inches across around the mounds. Pulled the dirt/sand and sifted through all of it. I found about 4-5 young earthworms. That was it. Still sound like mole crickets? I mean between the tiny mounds, no trails last year, no holes in the mounds, and not finding anything after digging or flooding I'm pretty confident the mounds are worms and the grass is just weak in those areas and getting worn from traffic or possible fungal weakness from last year. Does anyone think what I'm saying is feasible after the tests I've done?

KerbDMK and hort101 like this.
  8. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, the worms are not causing the problem, but they are surfacing in the openings of the turf. I would guess it is a turf disease.

Can you post a photo? Or at least a better description how big are the bare spots, and how many? Also, you can search for lawn diseases and see photos to compare to your situation.

In many pest situations, the pests themselves are gone and the damage done before we notice that something is going on.

RussellB, KerbDMK and hort101 like this.
  9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Here's a thought maybe the grass is thin/non existent for another reason and you happen to notice the worm or whatever mounds. Maybe the mounds are more less everywhere but you don't see them in the areas where grass is?

Care to take a pic of a large area showing both the grass and bare areas?

hort101 likes this.
  10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

agree maybe theres more worms coming up if its a wet area or poor drainage?

fwiw earthworms are great for plants one of the best things for a garden is worm casingsThumbs UpThumbs Up

RussellB, Walker56 and hal like this.