• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Easiest/quickest way to pull bushes..

IHI

LawnSite Member
So, what are you all using? A skid, backhoe or what to pull juniper/other bushes and entire root systems? I've tackled a few lately, but was wondering what the best method is?
Thanks for your input.

Raven386

LawnSite Silver Member
truck works pretty good too. im going to take a guess and say either a skid or a backhoe would make life easier. depends on the bush i guess and the area its in.

Gravel Rat

LawnSite Fanatic
A excavator with a thumb would probably be the easiest I don't have one so I try get a chain as low as I can and use my truck. If I need to I will use a snatch block and cable if its in a place where I can't get my truck to then a comealong which isn't my first choice.

tnmtn

LawnSite Bronze Member
dig the backhoe bucket to just under the ball then pop with the curl. set the bushes or whatever in piles then pick up with grapple and dump. fun easy money.

tallrick

LawnSite Senior Member
Skid with combo bucket. Tough bushes pull up if you don't break them off first! I pulled a lot of florida holly and ficus bushes that way.

OP
I

IHI

LawnSite Member
For some reason or another I've had about 4 requests in the last 3 days. How are you guys charging? per bush (range?) or per hour? I've been thinking of charging per bush.

Kepple Services

LawnSite Senior Member
I have done a few bushes here lately... about 40 on my last job i just completed.. I used my mini EX.. I just bid the job as a complete unit.. not aper bush or per hour rate...