Easy DIY Wood Sides on 5x8 Utility Trailer PHOTOS

OP
OakNut

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
My 36" walk behind (not shown) goes to the front of the trailer, off to the passenger side, allowing room for a trash can to sit in the front driver side corner, with some room left for gas cans and such along that wall. For the walk behind, I have a block of wood on the floor (I need to replace it - you can see where it should be) along the side of a back tire to keep it from shifting to the side after adding ratchet straps to eye bolts through the trailer frame.

For the two "push mowers", I put down wood "stops" to keep them from moving forward and hitting the walk behind.

After loading the push mowers, I place a rubber wheel chock behind each wheel, then close the gate, which presses against the wheel chocks, securing the mowers from moving around forward and backward. ( I measured for the wheel stop wood placement by closing the gate against the rubber chocks, pushing the mowers back against then, and then marking where the wood in front of the front wheels needs to be)
I wasn't planning to "explain" this, so it's not shown here, but I then lay a scrap piece of landscaping timber on the floor between the two mower decks, which keeps the mowers from moving side to side. The mowers sort of keep each other from moving that way.

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
Looks really good! Question for you.... Why do you have the sides so tall? The floors not stained so I’m guessing you don’t do mulch. I generally prefer easy access for my mowing trailer

OP
OakNut

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
Looks really good! Question for you.... Why do you have the sides so tall? The floors not stained so I’m guessing you don’t do mulch. I generally prefer easy access for my mowing trailer
There's nothing I need to "access" other than a gas can, and even with the original, higher sides than it has now, reaching over while standing outside was not an issue - and I'm short.
If I wanted to climb in, I stand on the fender and swing my leg over. The original height was a bit of a nut buster for me, so that was the only downside to the height.

Taller sides allow for a larger load of leaves and brush.
These small trailers fill up quick.

The only thing I haul are the mowers and brush from cleanups/hedge work.

Oh, and the sides NOW are not tall at all.
2 feet - that's it.
Not sure if I'll keep them that low - gonna reduce how much I can haul off. Extra trips to the dump...

OP
OakNut

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
Oh! I snapped this pic to use as an example. I always mention how much I love that the Toro Super Recycler handles flip straight up and because of that, I can roll it in right behind my walk behind, flip up the handle, and close the gate.
(same with the Timemaster 30")
If not for that foldy-feature, I wouldn't be able to fit all 3 mowers on this 8' trailer. At least not in a way that doesn't make it a pain to load/unload all day.

OP
OakNut

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
Sometimes it's the simple things that make life easier.

Ever try to hook something to a D ring with one hand and it's a struggle because the D ring is laying flat against the wood, keeping you from hooking onto it?

I made a spacer that holds the ring out just a hair to make it easy to hook onto.

Does this plastic thing look familiar to anyone?

LOL! I'm recycling/repurposing!
I have a bucket of those stupid stakes that the fert guys stick in the lawn.
Snipped a bit off the outer ring, drilled a hole, and used it to prop up the D ring.

Works great. I don't need it on all D rings, but this one sees use all the time once I unhook the mower (just a place to hold the bungee until I need to strap down the mower again), and I just made my life a little bit easier.

OP
OakNut

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic

I need to order trimmer racks once I collect a few more payments.
That should make for some interesting DIY content because I want to mount them on the outside and will likely need to fabricate/weld brackets to do it.

Also need to replace the 3 1/4" drop ball mount - probably need a 5 1/4".
The receiver on the Silverado was lower than it is on this TrailBlazer.

Not visible, but I did add mounts to secure my rakes to the side (inside passenger side) of the trailer wall.
I see guys with tool racks, but I have no need for shovels and brooms, and all sorts of tools that I rarely use. All I ever need is a leaf rake and a small, shrubber rake.
It would look dorky as heck with a single rake mounted vertically, sticking up in the air - I chose to keep it out of sight instead.

Another trailer mod I will be doing is a tongue-mounted box.
The need for me to be able to stand between the trailer and the SUV in order to open the back has complicated the issue more than I thought it would.
Most tongue boxes stick out too far forward for me to EASILY get stuff (backpack blower mainly) in and out all day long.
I need to use something long and narrow, and finding something that will work has been a challenge. I'm likely going to use a 28" long toolbox.
Stay tuned!

Last edited:
OP
OakNut

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
So far, just the rakes mounted to the side.
Keeps them handy, but out of the way. Gotta get creative since I don't have a truck bed to put this stuff in now.

I wanted to test two methods of attaching the rake - a "grippy clip" and a D ring with a velcro strap. Not sure if the grey, rubbery clip will hold up long term, and I figured the D ring could be used for other things if I change my mind.

OP
OakNut

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
More creative, practical solutions. (ha!)

I've never needed a trimmer rack before because all my stuff used to live in the bed of my truck.
Now that I have an SUV, I need a trimmer rack on my trailer because the string trimmer will only fit in the back of the SUV diagonally, and just wastes a LOT of space.

Until I get my trimmer rack, I'm just laying the trimmer on the floor of the trailer.
I was trying to think of a way of securing it - just keeping it from rolling around, banging into things. Hmmm... how about a cat litter bucket???
The powerhead of my FS90R fits perfectly inside! With it inserted in the bucket laying on it's wide side, the trimmer stays upright!
With it positioned this way, with the trimmer head in the corner, and the bucket resting against the wheel stop for the mower, it stays right where I put it!

Laugh away, but it works! :p

This isn't going to work once I get my 36" Ferris back on the trailer, (it needs some repairs), but for now, it does all I need it to do - keeps my trimmer from getting damaged.