easy fuse job, not

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mudter, May 31, 2008.

1. mudter

mudter LawnSite Member
    from texas

Looking for some help in trouble shooting a service call for a blown 1.5 fuse, the lady has already opened the controller (esp-8) but it did not look that disturbed. I replaced the fuse set the clock and manually start zone 1, zone 1 starts. I manually start zone two, it starts without an issue. I manually start zone 3 and zone 1 starts then the fuse pops. Replace fuse and start over, I make it to zone 5 and zone 2 starts just before the fuse pops again. I want to eliminate the issue so I disconnect the common and zone 1; I connect my 24 and get an open green light but no water. I try zone two, green light no water. I try all 7 zones and no water. Puzzled I looked at the controller again and there was not a wire for a mv. I connect the controller again and go back to the same process new fuse, zone 1 starts, blah, blah, fuse pops. Even more puzzled until I notice a stripped wire in the multi strand when three others are not striped. I connect the 24 to the open line and the common and get an open red light. This starts to eliminate a mv, correct? So why would the valves not open when the 24 was giving me a green light and the zones would open by the controller with out a mv connected? The clock output test was good on all 7 zones. Could there be a short in the multi strand and if so should it not show up as a short red light on the 24??????

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Resistance measurements?

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, OHM it out first, you get too deep into head scratching otherwise.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Do you know if system has a master valve? If not connect common to 1 of the 24 v. Touch other wires to other 24 v 1 at a time. If zones dont come up its a wire / solonoid issue. If they come up its a clock issue. If it has an MV connect that to 24v that you are touching wires to first.

5. FIMCO-MEISTER

FIMCO-MEISTER Banned

Did this post give anybody tired head beside me?

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, the guy was in so deep that even four-wheel drive & mud chains would have helped. All of us should have a critical path method of troubleshooting.

7. mudter

mudter LawnSite Member
    from texas

was not in the service truck, so I did not have multi meter with me. that is the first thing on list monday morning

8. mudter

mudter LawnSite Member
    from texas

Don't know if there is a master valve. I did try to activate each one of the valves with the 24 and got a green light but not water. This would lead me to believe that there is a master valve but there is no mv wire connected at the controller.

9. mudter

mudter LawnSite Member
    from texas

sorry for the long tread, just trying to explain path of trouble shooting that I did. next time I will try to be like some of the other donkies with their short questions like...... "How much per zone?"

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

(it still helps to edit for clarity - break up into an extra paragraph or two. A bit of extra work, to make up for the readers not being able to hear one describe the problem in spoken words)