Easy Gravely question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by danell10, Sep 4, 2019.

1. danell10

danell10 LawnSite Member

Hi all, I have a Gravely ZT HD 52 question. If I unplug the safety switch under the seat, will the mower still start and operate?

Thank you, Dan--

2. SilverPine

SilverPine LawnSite Member

It will not. A quick fix is a cotter pin in the plug with electrical tape.

You could always snip off the plug and connect the wires.

Dawson likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    danell10

danell10 LawnSite Member

Great, thank you for your response!

4. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

IMG_20190901_165537.jpg
    Gravely must use a "normally open" seat switch if you have to jumper the plug. My exmark was the same way. However my new ferris uses a "normally closed" seat switch which means simply unplugging it should work as its looking for an open circuit however the plug on the ferris also has a feature that bridges the contacts when it's unplugged which took a while and a lot of searching to discover that that was why I couldn't get the thing to run when the plug was disconnected.

StanWilhite and Ridin' Green like this.
  5. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

Why would you want to remove it?

RussellB likes this.
  6. Dawson

To greatly reduce unnesacary wear and tear on the blade clutch as well as for effeciency.
    It's not something a homeowner should do as there's really not much benefit for someone who's not using the mower day in and day out and is more likely to do something unsafe that those interlocks are meant to prevent.....but for a business that's using that mower to cut 80 plus yards a week like me It's a huge benefit not to have to shut down the engine and put on the emergency brake every time I need to hop off for a few seconds and open or close a gate, move a hose, etc....

StanWilhite and Ridin' Green like this.
  7. douglee25

from TX

My opinion here and your mower, but I wouldn't take the risk. Case in point, you bypass the safety, you go to step off, you slip and your foot gets caught in the spindle... Or your shoelaces get caught... Or a little kid comes running towards your machine to get on and slips and his foot slides under the deck... You get up to help and the blades never shut off. The last scenario happened to my neighbor. A couple of his toes were taken off and they had to be sewn back on. If that happens to a customer's kid, you can bet you're heading to court. "Did you modify and bypass the safety put in place to stop the blades?".... No backing away from that one. For the extra 15 seconds and minor clutch wear, it's just not worth it.

hort101 and Ridin' Green like this.
  8. Dawson

We don't all need nannys to keep us safe. The first 20 years I was in business commercial mowers didn't even come with rops:eek: (which is the first thing that gets removed when I get a new mower btw) much less any seat occupancy switches and I somehow managed to survive and didn't kill or maim anyone. If theres kids running around anywhere near me I won't even mow the yard, much less hop off a running mower and walk away from it, that's common sense...I don't need osha regulations to see significant risks and take appropriate actions of my own accord.

I'm waiting for osha to mandate reverse obstacle sensors to add even more cost to these already expensive machines because of the 2% of people that might back up without knowing whats behind them.:rolleyes:

As for "minor clutch wear", the additional wear is actually fairly significant and could easily cut the life of the clutch in half or more. What wears out a clutch is starting and stopping the blades. If i'm starting and stopping the blades 2 or 3 additional times for each yard (which is typical on many yards if I don't bypass the seat switch) then the clutch is getting worn out 2 to 3 times faster. So a 500 dollar clutch that might have lasted 5 years only lasts 2, I haven't made it in this business solo for 28 years by throwing money away based on highly unlikely to occur risks. I take a lot more risk of killing or maiming myself or someone else everytime I get in my truck and drive off.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

here shops wont work on the machine unless all safety's are in place.

10. douglee25

from TX

ROPS removal is one thing that likely would only affect you, safety switch removal likely could affect others. I understand where you're coming from but it only takes one time.