1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

easy question, easy answer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Nov 24, 2004.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, you have all helped me soooooooo much with my lawnmower and everything else.

I keep hearing about striping, which I think I actually do pretty well since I know the concept. But I hear something that is aquainted with it, high lift blades? I hear people saying, do you have high lifts, or something like that. Can someone explain what they are. :help:

Thanks.

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

They are a blade that has the rear edge curved up at a much larger rate than a standard blade. This creates more vacuum and stands the grass up while cutting. I have included a pic from eagle turf.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

high lifts are also great for bagging lawns

4. LawnBoy89

Oh I see, now is this any better for striping?

Also, wouldn't this cause alot more buildup under the mower?

Thanks alot for the information.

5. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

Not necessarily - but it also depends on what conditions you are mowing in. I have a Hi-Vac 21" mower and the deck is very clean - I'm thinking this is because there's always other leaves and clippings clearing the "sticky" stuff.

Seth

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I second that. Seems like the extra "Grit" helps keep stuff from sticking.

7. LawnBoy89

I've heard it makes the stripes more defined, is that true?

At first I thought that high lifts were just any type of blades but raised up under the deck. I looked under my deck and noticed that you can raise the blades from just underneath, without actually moving the whole deck. Is this a good idea? I would have to lower the whole deck more and raise the blades underneath. I would have to lower the deck itself about 2 inches. Would this scalp more? Has anyone done this?

8. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

I've never head of raising the blades from underneath without moving the whole deck. What mower is this again? If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the height of the blades - just adjust the deck height if you want to adjust the height of cut.

Hi-lift blades are just another type of blade. The hi-lift means that the airflow generated by the blade spinning around creates a better "up" air-flow. You will hear people talk about standard lifts, mulching, and etc. on this site - that just means the blades are designed to move the air differently under the deck. (basically).

Once again, as metro lawn said: "They are a blade that has the rear edge curved up at a much larger rate than a standard blade. This creates more vacuum and stands the grass up while cutting. I have included a pic from eagle turf." This will give you a somewhat better stripe because the grass is pulled up by the airflow, and then laid down by the striping kit/ (on 21" mowers there is usually a flap dragged along that doubles as a safety device.)

There are a couple of companies that make striping kits that you can add to mowers, but you need to know which one to get. Sometimes though, it's impossible to buy a striping kit for your mower (or it isn't practical). Some people on this site have made striping kits themselves by welding and such.

If you still don't understand this, do a search - there are tons of threads about striping on Lawnsite.com.

Seth

9. LawnBoy89

Sorry about the late response but thanks alot I understand now. I took my blades off the other day and they definetly look like high lifts, that's probably why it stripes so well.