Lawn Care Forum banner

easy question...

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Norm Al 
#1 ·
How often do I sharpen the blade on a 21" walk behind mower? I say I do 5 lawns a week? and what about if I did 20 lawns a week? thanks

#3 ·
Too many variables - best to check the blade after each day's use. 21's do not need to be razor sharp to do an excellent job but you do not want a rolled edge, nicks or rounded corners on the cutting surface.
My 21" is a low use item and is sharpened every couple of weeks (which works for me).

BobR

#6 ·
We carry one 21" on the trailer.It gets used in one yard out of 27, and gets sharpened maybe once every two months or so. It really depends on useage, conditions of mowing, i.e sandy soils, etc., and the operator using it.Next year we won't need the 21", so it won't be a problem anymore..lol :waving:

#7 ·
impactlandscaping said:
Next year we won't need the 21", so it won't be a problem anymore..lol :waving:
Oh, I want to be there too!

How are you getting there, Bill? Eliminating accounts or replacing the mower with something else? I want a 36" walk-behind. If I need anything smaller to do a yard, I'll turn it down.

#10 ·
GreenMonster said:
Oh, I want to be there too!

How are you getting there, Bill? Eliminating accounts or replacing the mower with something else? I want a 36" walk-behind. If I need anything smaller to do a yard, I'll turn it down.
Mark-Both...I dropped some smaller accounts that had tons of obstacles and narrow areas, and on the others, the new Standers go everywhere the 21's and WB's used to go. A couple commercials that we used 21" 2 cycles on , are faster to line trim than wrestle the mowers on.I got rid of my 48 and 36 wb's this summer as well. We now mow everything with 48" Standers. I am going to add a new 52" in the spring. We only mow 27 properties, but they are quality accounts, and if the equipment we use won't fit the profile for the lawn, or we don't get a full service maint. agreement with it, we pass on it..

P.S.- Adam is right about trying to find your "quote" button...LMAO!! :dizzy:

#11 ·
impactlandscaping said:
Mark-Both...I dropped some smaller accounts that had tons of obstacles and narrow areas, and on the others, the new Standers go everywhere the 21's and WB's used to go. A couple commercials that we used 21" 2 cycles on , are faster to line trim than wrestle the mowers on.I got rid of my 48 and 36 wb's this summer as well. We now mow everything with 48" Standers. I am going to add a new 52" in the spring. We only mow 27 properties, but they are quality accounts, and if the equipment we use won't fit the profile for the lawn, or we don't get a full service maint. agreement with it, we pass on it..

P.S.- Adam is right about trying to find your "quote" button...LMAO!! :dizzy:
You're officially the third guy "complaining" about my sig.

86 years guys. 86!!!! Do you have any idea how much sh!t I've taken over the years? Adam, would your care to share how much of that sh!t you've dished out? :D

At least let me keep it until the Pats win the superbowl again in January! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Or until the Yankees sign Varitek :(

#12 ·
GreenMonster said:
You're officially the third guy "complaining" about my sig.

86 years guys. 86!!!! Do you have any idea how much sh!t I've taken over the years? Adam, would your care to share how much of that sh!t you've dished out? :D

At least let me keep it until the Pats win the superbowl again in January! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Or until the Yankees sign Varitek :(
me?... me? you must have me confused with someone else. I don't even watch baseball.

if the yanks sign Varitek and dump Jorge... you will see an O's avatar come spring. Sorry shawn, don't mean to jump on the wagon.

#15 ·
if you want the best cut and the least drag on your mower go by hours of cutting and sharpen them every 4 hours of mowing! carry 2 sets of blades and change them at lunch, it will be easy to sharpen both sets for the next day because they wont be as badly dulled!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.