Echo 770 on aviation fuel ~100 octane?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by workaholics anonymous, Feb 22, 2019.

1. workaholics anonymous

workaholics anonymous LawnSite Member

Hi all, new member first post.

Does anyone run 100 octane/ aviation fuel in an echo 770?

After having carb issues with one of my echo 770 (after one year of use) the service tech stressed the importance of ethanol free fuel. I have owned boats for 25 years and know all too well the problems with ethanol.

The only place around here that sells it is a nearby airport, but its 100ish octane. Will this harm my equipment?

The airline fuel is $5.00/ gallon, vs $20/gallon for the metal can mix at home depot.

My plan is to use the aviation fuel during the spring-summer. I use my blowers only for 10ish minutes per week during the mowing season. I could probably get thru the season on 5 gallons of fuel.

During the late fall leaf blowing season I use them almost every day, probably burning 20 gallons+ per week (200 gallons per season). Here my plan would be use standard gas station fuel for the 6-8 weeks of heavy/ frequent usage, treating said fuel with a bit of seafoam and stabilizer if necessary.

Thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

Walker56 and hort101 like this.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is a silly concern. I run many echo blowers for years and no problems. Got three 770.; Use red armour

5. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I have run stens mix or opti 2 for 33 years now with 85 have jumped up to 89 never had any issues I don't think you need to spend that kind of money on that gas don't stress it

6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

For how much you say you run them just buy a one can of the fancy mixed gas for the bulk of the year and switch to pump mixed gas when you're running it every day.

Drain the tank at the end of the season and run it dry.

Walker56 and hort101 like this.
  7. Braves17

Braves17 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I top off all of my gasoline equipment at the end of every season with aviation fuel. It doesn’t spoil. Never had a problem

Walker56 likes this.
  8. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I see two problems using 100 Av gas. 100 octane is to much octane for the compression ratio of a blower. Also, Av gas is made for planes and isn't formulated like on road fuel to cool the engine at idle conditions. With that being said, shave the head, polish the ports and mess with the timing a little and with some Av gas that thing should really rip. Back in the day when I was building racing motors for 3wheelers I would mix 100 Av gas 50/50 with pump gas.

Breezmeister and Walker56 like this.
  9. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Member

I never seen much issue with lower compression when running AV gas, but I would have to jet up my carb a tick if switched to it. Makes me wander if running it in an EPA compliant engine could cause a harmful lean condition.

And furthermore, i haven't had a carb problem related to the use of 10% or less ethanol, yet...

Breezmeister and Walker56 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    workaholics anonymous

workaholics anonymous LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. Maybe I just worry too much, its just that after what the service tech told me about the 770 carb issues with ethanol I looked online and found a TON of complaints specifically about ECHO 770 ethanol related carb problems.

I haven't had issues with any other equipment (yet), just trying to prevent costly repairs since I am not very diy mechanically inclined lol. I am new to the lawn care business, and only doing it part time to supplement my lousy paying full time job. So I just want to start off on the right foot with properly maintaining my equipment.

Any advise on how to store the following during the off-season is appreciated... (run them all dry?)

I have...
    Two Echo 770
    Billy Goat 1801V debris loader
    Echo trimmer
    Toro Timemaster

Buying soon...
    Echo 8010
    Used Exmark zero turn

hort101 likes this.