Echo 770 on aviation fuel ~100 octane?

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
All my newer equipment makes allowance for 10% ethanol. And all my older stuff hasn't suffered from it yet. I still have an Echo stick edger I bought back in 2005 that still runs fine, and an SRM260S that still runs fine. Actually better than my SRM2620. They all get whatever comes out of the pump.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks everyone for your replies. Maybe I just worry too much, its just that after what the service tech told me about the 770 carb issues with ethanol I looked online and found a TON of complaints specifically about ECHO 770 ethanol related carb problems.

I haven't had issues with any other equipment (yet), just trying to prevent costly repairs since I am not very diy mechanically inclined lol. I am new to the lawn care business, and only doing it part time to supplement my lousy paying full time job. So I just want to start off on the right foot with properly maintaining my equipment.

Any advise on how to store the following during the off-season is appreciated... (run them all dry?)

I have...
Two Echo 770
Billy Goat 1801V debris loader
Echo trimmer
Toro Timemaster

Buying soon...
Echo 8010
Used Exmark zero turn
run them dry or put fresh gas with a stablizer

during the season mix a couple weeks worth of gas only you can run gas with ethanol no problem

use a good oil like red armor has stabilizer in it or your preffered oil and a stablizer

most aviation gas has led:hammerhead:
In a plane you cant have any engine problems withouth deadly consequences and no body in the clouds to breath led

Its not the ethanol but it can attract water which could be a problem in marine applications

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Senior Member
I usually have around 12 handheld 2strokes in the stable and I'm a solo op. So some can sit for a couple months between use. We have had ethanol premium for at least 20 years and I have no special winterizing procedure. If thats not the case then I think I would probably store them on Av Gas. A couple months back somebody had a Youtube video on here of a kid using water to remove ethanol from gas. I've known of this trick for 30 years, still don't think I'd try it. I knew people that had to do it on 2 stroke air cooled dirt bikes when ethanol first came out around here and wasn't blended well. Ethanol is corrosive and when it sits it separates and the problems start.

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
To answer you question you can run avgas with zero problems on your echo. It's a waste of money, but if you let your fuel sit you may cure any potential ethanol issues. Avgas is 100 octane and low lead. The common misnomer and misconception that it is designed for high altitude or that it won't cool an engine at idle is pure fiction. Avgas won't magically make your engine run with more power either and in general, 100 octane is too high for what these engines are made to run on, so you may not get full ignition which could lead to some unburnt fuel. I've never run it at great lengths on these little handhelds. That being said, typically too high of an octane does not result in any noticeable issues, it's when you run too low of octane where you could see some pre detonation and totally smoke your engine.

My advise is to use stabil or something like it and run pump gas, don't run gas that's a year old, even with stabil, and if you don't use much at all, just buy the premix non ethanol. Or keep using the avgas, it does have a delicious smell and keeps for a long time.

I still run 100 octane avgas in my 14:1 compression race atv motors. It is a much cheaper alternative to race fuel and it maintains the octane rating that I need, plus a littler upper cylinder lube with the lead. In 15 years of running it in those high revving motors I've yet to have any problems fuel related.

FWIW ethanol problems only happen to people who improperly store gas for way too long. It's not like the pre ethanol fuel so things do need to be taken into consideration. That being said, almost all 2 cycle mix has stabilizers that will maintain for 1 year. I personally don't let my gas sit for that long. I do however let it sit all winter in my engines and in the cans, with stabilizer you should have zero problems with E10 fuel. I haven't seen a single issue related to ethanol on any of my handhelds, mowers, or vehicles for that matter, they all sit for 4-5 months full of E10 that has been treated with stabil or the 2 cycle mix that already has stabilizers in it.

OP
W

workaholics anonymous

LawnSite Member
To answer you question you can run avgas with zero problems on your echo. It's a waste of money, but if you let your fuel sit you may cure any potential ethanol issues. Avgas is 100 octane and low lead. The common misnomer and misconception that it is designed for high altitude or that it won't cool an engine at idle is pure fiction. Avgas won't magically make your engine run with more power either and in general, 100 octane is too high for what these engines are made to run on, so you may not get full ignition which could lead to some unburnt fuel. I've never run it at great lengths on these little handhelds. That being said, typically too high of an octane does not result in any noticeable issues, it's when you run too low of octane where you could see some pre detonation and totally smoke your engine.

My advise is to use stabil or something like it and run pump gas, don't run gas that's a year old, even with stabil, and if you don't use much at all, just buy the premix non ethanol. Or keep using the avgas, it does have a delicious smell and keeps for a long time.

I still run 100 octane avgas in my 14:1 compression race atv motors. It is a much cheaper alternative to race fuel and it maintains the octane rating that I need, plus a littler upper cylinder lube with the lead. In 15 years of running it in those high revving motors I've yet to have any problems fuel related.

FWIW ethanol problems only happen to people who improperly store gas for way too long. It's not like the pre ethanol fuel so things do need to be taken into consideration. That being said, almost all 2 cycle mix has stabilizers that will maintain for 1 year. I personally don't let my gas sit for that long. I do however let it sit all winter in my engines and in the cans, with stabilizer you should have zero problems with E10 fuel. I haven't seen a single issue related to ethanol on any of my handhelds, mowers, or vehicles for that matter, they all sit for 4-5 months full of E10 that has been treated with stabil or the 2 cycle mix that already has stabilizers in it.
Thank you for this thorough answer. You literally addressed almost everything I have seen or heard from both sides and put it all in one complete reply!!! Since I had jumped the gun and already bought a few gallons I'll burn thru that and then switch back to pump fuel (adding stabil and occasionally seafoam)